• No

Votes: 76 22.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 126 37.3%

• Total voters

splangy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah. I've never personally done it, but a lot of my dad's coworkers would do it. I think it's just a matter of practice, to get to the point where you can predict exactly how they will move.

We used to go on scorpion hunts a lot when I was little, though. We'd head out with a black light into the desert (a group of like 5 or 6 researchers), and catch scorpions. There would always be at least one person who would just grab the scorpions free-handed, no protection, very rarely would they get stung. They were good at it through lots of practice. Scorps would be a whole lot harder to handle in the wild than Ts.

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
History Channel "Black Blizzard" (2008)

The History channel a few nights ago in a special about the 'Dust Bowl' dust storms of the early 1900's, indicated that the extreme dryness during that dark time of US American history had forced many insects (and of course arachnids) to enter into unsuspecting homes across the midsection of the country, and 'death by spider' was among the causes of many deaths attributed to the dust bowl event. The visual the History Channel gave when telling this part of their story was of course a tarantula (gotta love major media!).

Probably most of the spider deaths were by 'other than tarantula', but with the conditions these people were enduring during this time, the increase in insect activity into homes looking for water and subsequent increase in bites, and the less than optimal healthcare provided during those early years, even a few of these deaths were probably a result (indirectly, if nothing else) of some of our native tarantulas.

Don't think the tarantula pet industry had any contribution to the deaths, though...:clap:

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hmm... I'm afraid this might be one thread that might not have needed to be brought back up......

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The History channel a few nights ago in a special about the 'Dust Bowl' dust storms of the early 1900's, indicated that the extreme dryness during that dark time of US American history had forced many insects (and of course arachnids) to enter into unsuspecting homes across the midsection of the country, and 'death by spider' was among the causes of many deaths attributed to the dust bowl event. The visual the History Channel gave when telling this part of their story was of course a tarantula (gotta love major media!).

Probably most of the spider deaths were by 'other than tarantula', but with the conditions these people were enduring during this time, the increase in insect activity into homes looking for water and subsequent increase in bites, and the less than optimal healthcare provided during those early years, even a few of these deaths were probably a result (indirectly, if nothing else) of some of our native tarantulas.

Don't think the tarantula pet industry had any contribution to the deaths, though...:clap:
From an aphonopelma bite? Really? You mention indirectly; that is the only way an aphono bite could lead to a death. And that would be from a staph infection. Which you can get from bumping your leg against a table. Is that really what you're hinging your "death by tarantula" argument on?

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't think that non-adults should be allowed to own Brumese Colbalt Blues, as they are very dangerous.

mhill

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It all depends on the individual. I know some people over the age of 30 that should not have anything venomous in their possession. On the other hand, many younger people show respect for the animals, and keep them correctly.

John
+1 on this. Ive met 12-14 yr old more mature than some 30+ 40+ people I know.

BatGirl

MAJOR
Old Timer
ODS alert

From an aphonopelma bite? Really? You mention indirectly; that is the only way an aphono bite could lead to a death. And that would be from a staph infection. Which you can get from bumping your leg against a table. Is that really what you're hinging your "death by tarantula" argument on?
I think it is the History Channel's phrase not mine, and FYI they used the term 'Death by Spider'...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scoolman

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Age is relative.
Responsibility and maturity are much better indicators of ability.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Age is relative.
Responsibility and maturity are much better indicators of ability.
this, but this topic is beaten to death; young people are still much more susceptible to OW venom and hairs, heck, even unhealthy adults. And to go with that, is the age of the person; theyre under 18, and a seller can get in major trouble for selling, let alone having a non-adult get bit.

Both points, mine and Scoolman's, are right on, and are discussed every few weeks anyway.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You mean aside from burying the thread in an unmarked grave?

Should non-adults be allowed to own/care for OW species?

Let's boil it down, and down some more and a little more yet. There are adults out there that I wouldn't trust to put air in the tires of my jeep. There is a 15 year old young lady in a village an hour from here who is a very responsible capable mother, not only of her own 2 children but takes care of several siblings and relatives children.
Lastly, there are some people who would write and promote legislation regarding who can keep what animal that are such completely ignorant, biased, corrupt a-holes that you wouldn't want them making decisions about anybody or any animal's life or welfare.

Pardon me here but I really need to ask,
JUST WHAT IN H*** IS THIS -TURNS 18- SWITCH WHERE A SUPPOSED IMBECILE SUDDENLY BECOMES A RESPONSIBLE COMMON SENSE LADEN CAPABLE ADULT??