should non adults be allowed to keep scolopendrids?

should non adults be allowed to keep scolopendrids

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Specifically subspinipes morphs.I ask because I'm considering selling one to a kid who is 12 that knows quite a bit about them.This thread will decide.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i personally can not say yes or no to this thread. i know a lot of adults that shouldnt keep hotter bugs. if the parents are completely ok with the idea and they are aware of the risks then i say go for it, but CYA and make sure you have something from the parents, be it a phone call, or make the parents buy it for him/her. where i work we dont even sell pokies or "hotter" T's to kids, and the person purchasing has to sign a waiver saying if you screw up and get bit its not our fault.

Endagr8

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As always in such polls, I voted yes, because I am a competent minor that happens to be an invertebrate enthusiast. I figure that other minors are also capable of keeping such critters. :D

HOWEVER, the decision depends largely upon the judgment of the child at hand. As mentioned, some adults may even lack what I consider to be qualifiers of owners of potentially dangerous species.

The most important part of owning centipedes, in regard to the safety of the owner, IMO, are the enclosure and the methods the owner uses to do cage maintenance, re-housings, etc.. Perhaps you should discuss these (if you haven't already) with the prospective child to determine whether his methods and enclosure meet your safety standards, rather than letting voters that are almost completely unaware of the degree of information he has learned about centipedes decide.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
As always in such polls, I voted yes, because I am a competent minor that happens to be an invertebrate enthusiast. I figure that other minors are also capable of keeping such critters. :D

HOWEVER, the decision depends largely upon the judgment of the child at hand. As mentioned, some adults may even lack what I consider to be qualifiers of owners of potentially dangerous species.

The most important part of owning centipedes, in regard to the safety of the owner, IMO, are the enclosure and the methods the owner uses to do cage maintenance, re-housings, etc.. Perhaps you should discuss these (if you haven't already) with the prospective child to determine whether his methods and enclosure meet your safety standards, rather than letting voters that are almost completely unaware of the degree of information he has learned about centipedes decide.
I caught my first Scolopendrid (alternans) using the iron thumb technique when I was six years old.a year later I got my very first subspinipes.

the kid in question comes over to see my collection and helps me feed,house,rehouse,and maintain my collection at least once a week.Trust me,he knows how to take care of them.

rustym3talh3ad

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught my first Scolopendrid (alternans) using the iron thumb technique when I was six years old.a year later I got my very first subspinipes.

the kid in question comes over to see my collection and helps me feed,house,rehouse,and maintain my collection at least once a week.Trust me,he knows how to take care of them.
it unfortunately has nothing to do with his knowledge but his parents knowledge. if hes a local kid sit down with the rents and let them know exactly whats up and if they are cool with it then i say go for it. its irresponsible to sell ANY child ANY animal that the parents are fully aware of, especially since this could pose serious injury to the child. remember, though his interest is high and his intelligence is there, he is still a child the potential of accident is just as high.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
it unfortunately has nothing to do with his knowledge but his parents knowledge. if hes a local kid sit down with the rents and let them know exactly whats up and if they are cool with it then i say go for it. its irresponsible to sell ANY child ANY animal that the parents are fully aware of, especially since this could pose serious injury to the child. remember, though his interest is high and his intelligence is there, he is still a child the potential of accident is just as high.
yeah I get where you're comin from.

thebugfreak

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
there is a mistake in this poll: i voted no by accident... sorry guys. i meant to vote yes.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
no

Sadly, personal responsibility isn't taken very seriously in this country. Even experienced keepers make mistakes, and in the eyes of the media and unwashed populace, there is a huge difference between the 25 year old weirdo that got bit by his exotic centipede and wound up in the hospital, and the poor 12 year old that some irresponsible bug-peddler sold a dangerous animal too.

Don't do it. This hobby is already misunderstood, we need to be sure to do what we can to keep potential crap-storms off the local news.

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
to clarify

Don't get me wrong, Its not that I don't think a 12 year old could care for a pede, I just think the possible risks outweigh the benefits.

It's like the reptile hobby, a seller who would sell a hot species to a minor, legally or not, would be ostracized. Our hobbies are misunderstood and our animals are feared already. We need to police ourselves, so that local governments don't decide to do it for us.

nissan480

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would say yes based on your statement that hes knowledgable. But the fact he is a minor changes things and would say no.

So, NO. That is a choice for his parents who have responsibility for him. Talk to them. Children dont have rights or responsibility, two things you have as a adult.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Sadly, personal responsibility isn't taken very seriously in this country. Even experienced keepers make mistakes, and in the eyes of the media and unwashed populace, there is a huge difference between the 25 year old weirdo that got bit by his exotic centipede and wound up in the hospital, and the poor 12 year old that some irresponsible bug-peddler sold a dangerous animal too.

Don't do it. This hobby is already misunderstood, we need to be sure to do what we can to keep potential crap-storms off the local news.
This is very true I must admit.I will probably talk to the kids parents tomorrow.They aren't bug lovers unfortunately.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Just to clarify, this thread is about whether non-adults as a whole and not just this one kid.

RBJ

Arachnopeon
I think you missing a point here...Is it legal to sell any animals to people under age 18 :confused:
It isn't in my country and if something bad happens with the kid you as the seller would be to blame and you are the one who would be convicted

Warren Bautista

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm 13 (14 next month) and I keep Scolopendrids. I don't see any problem with anyone keeping hazardous animals as long as they can care for it and show it proper respect.

Toirtis

Arachnobaron
I would say yes based on your statement that hes knowledgable. But the fact he is a minor changes things and would say no.

So, NO. That is a choice for his parents who have responsibility for him. Talk to them. Children dont have rights or responsibility, two things you have as a adult.
I agree....and bear in mind you are covering your own ass, too...the way US law works, if that kid gets bit and suffers injury, cranky parents could make your life legal hell, criminally and civilly.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
NO. Large scolopendra should not be sold to minors. If they can catch their own, great.

We need to police ourselves, so that local governments don't decide to do it for us.
I am troubled by that logic, how would that have worked in the holocaust?

Earthworm Soul

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am troubled by that logic, how would that have worked in the holocaust?
That's an awful big jump there...

I was referring to the hobby collectively trying to be responsible for promoting a positive view of itself... I wasn't referring to anything other than that.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Depends on maturity level of the kiddo, and if the parents say its okay.

I am going to compare this to iguanas, because I got my first iguana when I was 10. Parents let me have it as long as I took care of it, etc, did my research, by the time i was 12 I had 4 iguanas. lol 2f, 2 1/2f, 3 1/4 and a 4 1/2. And I can tell you, my mother wasn't fond of them, and my iguanas weren't fond of her either. (nothing reptilian, or birds is lol) But they where my responsibility.
Though she did buy the veggies. ^^

I must say a 4 1/2 foot iguana is more dangerous then a centipede and much more difficult to give the proper nutrients for.

As long as the parents acceptance is given, and the childs responsibility is proper, and it is CLEAR that it's the kids responsibility to feed it, and you give the parents a CLEAR idea of what would happen if the kid is bit.

I don't really like the idea of the child starting out with a the first scolopendra you mentioned. Why don't you give him a 2 inch centipede of some smaller species, and level up as the months go by. This is great for the parents, gives them some control, and a good learning experience for the kid.

Isn't that how it should go anyways?

super-pede

Arachnobaron
Depends on maturity level of the kiddo, and if the parents say its okay.

I am going to compare this to iguanas, because I got my first iguana when I was 10. Parents let me have it as long as I took care of it, etc, did my research, by the time i was 12 I had 4 iguanas. lol 2f, 2 1/2f, 3 1/4 and a 4 1/2. And I can tell you, my mother wasn't fond of them, and my iguanas weren't fond of her either. (nothing reptilian, or birds is lol) But they where my responsibility.
Though she did buy the veggies. ^^

I must say a 4 1/2 foot iguana is more dangerous then a centipede and much more difficult to give the proper nutrients for.

As long as the parents acceptance is given, and the childs responsibility is proper, and it is CLEAR that it's the kids responsibility to feed it, and you give the parents a CLEAR idea of what would happen if the kid is bit.

I don't really like the idea of the child starting out with a the first scolopendra you mentioned. Why don't you give him a 2 inch centipede of some smaller species, and level up as the months go by. This is great for the parents, gives them some control, and a good learning experience for the kid.

Isn't that how it should go anyways?
I have already given him a cingulata(great beginner pede) and a polymorpha(great for beginners).and he has just fallen in love with one of my smaller malaysians(5-6 inches) and if the parents OK it-then it's his.