1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I worry about removing Neoholothele incei's molt?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by baconwrappedpikachu, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Advertisement
    My Neoholothele incei finally molted last week. I think it is still one molt away from being fully grown, but I could be wrong. But either way it has plenty of room in its current enclosure and doesn't need to be rehoused, which is why I'm especially hesitant to mess with the webbing. It has fully webbed everything up and I can't see at all to figure out where the molt might be under its web tunnels.

If this were a more arid species, I really wouldn't be worried, but since it does like damp substrate, this is one of the enclosures where I have to be very quick about removing boluses (boli?) etc or it will mold/grow fungus. There is plenty of ventilation throughout the enclosure but obviously it hasn't exactly built the tunnels with a cross breeze in mind. :angelic:

I know that a spot of mold here or there is no problem to a healthy tarantula, and since it's not a common occurrence in my enclosures I usually just spot clean it without much issue. But it was a decent size before it molted... like 1.5"... so I'm nervous that it could really cause a mold/rotting issue down there somewhere. All my other tarantulas kick their molts out but it's been over 7 days now and it looks like this one wants to hold onto their molt.

Should I try to find the molt and remove it, or just leave it be? Or just keep an eye on things and watch for mold? I'm just worried that I wouldn't be able to see it if there was some sort of explosion, and I don't want to end up with a bloom of mites or fungus or something because I wasn't able to see it and nip it in the bud.

2. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoangel Arachnosupporter

Leaving the molt in is just fine. Molts don't really attract molds like a bolus would. If it's a hassle to get to the molt, I just leave them in and the spider will either bury it, web it up, or bring it out of the webbing/burrow itself. All of no consequence.

On the opposite spectrum, if you want the molt for sexing or some other purpose, there would be no issues pulling out the molt either. Even if you destroy some of the webbing, they'll just fix it up in no time flat.

In other words, it's basically inconsequential no matter what you decide to do with the molt

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Awesome, glad to hear that. In that case I think I will just leave the molt. At the next molt I'll probably attempt to determine the sex. I know they rebuild quickly but I still feel bad messing up their webbing too much. :rolleyes:

Thank you!

4. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

no

• Like Like x 1
  5. Surfing Tigress

Surfing Tigress Arachnosquire Active Member

Personally, removing the molt to me depends on the T. I have some that clearly want it taken out and far away from them and will drag it all the way out and over their water dish (farthest point from their den)... theirs I take out. But I also have a T that always molts outside her home; she webs like a hammock up above it and molts in that in the open; fortunate for me because I get to watch and photograph/video it. She immediately takes her molt into her den (which is large and very open consisting of a log against the glass) and webs it into the ground or onto the 'walls' of the log and makes it part of her home. I have always left hers and never had an issue. So I think it depends on the T.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thank you! I have 15 tarantulas and every single one either molted out in the open or kicked the molt out the very next day. I was patiently waiting for this one to do the same, but.. looks like it's not going to happen! Haha. It has webbed up the enclosure so well that I honestly have no idea what the web tunnel system looks like except for the two openings that it hangs out in. I'd love to find the molt and put it in my collection -- I've started with all slings and it is a lot of fun to see how much growth they have from one molt to the next. But I think I will just leave it in peace since it doesn't sound like the molt will do any harm and I'm guessing it is webbed up tight down there somewhere.

• Like Like x 1