Should I transition A. Chalcodes from moist to dry substrate?

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
I finally bit the bullet, and at the narbc I purchased a sub-adult Arizona blonde female.

The vendor I purchased her from seemed knowledgeable, but she kept her on moist substrate. 70% coco, 30% peat moss with some chunks of sphagnum moss. Afaik, A. chalcodes should be kept arid.

Should I allow the substrate to dry out completely?

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I am sure many will chime in if you could provide a photo or two of your enclosure. :angelic:

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
I am sure many will chime in if you could provide a photo or two of your enclosure. :angelic:
I will when I can. My question doesn't really seem to need one tho, I'm just wondering if anyone keeps their chalcodes moist or if I should allow it to dry up. She's not even in a permanent enclosure, how I set her up will depend on whether others recommend dry substrate, moist substrate, or moist substrate that should be allowed to dry.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Dry, deep substrate with a water dish.

I'm curious what this vendor said to make you think they seemed knowledgeable...

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Dry, deep substrate with a water dish.

I'm curious what this vendor said to make you think they seemed knowledgeable...
TBH, I kind of said that just so I don't seem like some know-it-all saying she has no idea what she's talking about.

The other thing that made me iffy about her was that she insisted I hold her. I appreciated seeing how placid she is, but I was definitely nervous about somebody around me bumping into me or scaring her.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah, nothing about that vendor sounds knowledgeable.

LordAnon

Arachnosquire
Yeah, in retrospect probably not. Her care sheet also said "no tarantula is venomous enough to put you in the hospital". Seems to me like she's still living in the days when most pet stores only carried G. Rosea.

She was very enthusiastic, which was nice. I guess I confused that with genuine wisdom. Or I just didn't think about it too much because I was really happy with my new T.

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
She was very enthusiastic, which was nice. I guess I confused that with genuine wisdom. Or I just didn't think about it too much because I was really happy with my new T.
Was she also good looking? Might be the reason for you thinking she was so knowledgeable

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Was she also good looking? Might be the reason for you thinking she was so knowledgeable
You mean the Arizona blonde?:embarrassed:

Yeah, in retrospect probably not. Her care sheet also said "no tarantula is venomous enough to put you in the hospital". Seems to me like she's still living in the days when most pet stores only carried G. Rosea.

She may be enthusiastic? But, my mother is enthusiastic too, but she knows absolute nothing about tarantulas!:happy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
your vendor sounds like they drank bleach as a child. I dont see why you would use moist sub at all? if it is a sling I understand doing partial wetting but my modus operandi is to keep desert Ts like the desert: DRY. sorry you got feed info from a godless heathen, clearly they never read arachno 1:5 " 'he who handle-ith a T is not cool with god, yo', said Jesus"