Should I leave her be?

SpiderBrains

Arachnopeon
My brachypelma albopilosum has sealed herself in her hide, should I open it up, or let her be?

IMG_20171212_183802.jpg

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Let her be! A sealed hide or burrow is a big "DO NOT DISTURB" sign. She may be preparing to molt - in which case disturbing her at the wrong time could result in a crippled or dead spider. Even if she is not molting, the sealed hide indicates that she wants to be left alone.

It is very common for tarantulas to seal themselves up in their hides, burrows, web tubes, or dirt curtains when they are preparing to molt. They may remain sealed up for days, weeks, or even months. Don't worry about it - it's perfectly normal. Do not feed her until she emerges - and if she has molted, wait at least a week beyond that for her fangs to harden before feeding her. (They don't always molt - I've had several of my Aphonopelma sp. seal themselves up for weeks or months at a time - and emerge, unchanged but hungry, without having molted.) Just be sure to keep her water dish full so she has access to fresh water if she wants it - and to keep the humidity up.

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
I always default to leave them be. Although I've got an O. philippinus that's really testing my patience after two months. :p

SpiderBrains

Arachnopeon
That is what I thought, but I'm new to the hobby and wanted confirmation. How long before I should be worried? I've seen several posts where spiders have been in hiding for 2-3 months. I hope she doesn't go that long. She is beautiful and it makes me sad that she isn't where she can be seen.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That is what I thought, but I'm new to the hobby and wanted confirmation. How long before I should be worried? I've seen several posts where spiders have been in hiding for 2-3 months. I hope she doesn't go that long. She is beautiful and it makes me sad that she isn't where she can be seen.
And *that* is one of the many reasons why so many of us have multiple tarantulas! I may have one or two (or six...) in hiding at any one time, but there are always a few that are out and about!

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Yeah, usually when there is the question of "should I check or leave her be?" the answer is leave her be. I'm not saying ALWAYS, but typically that is the case.

Some Ts will just hide away for a while. It is very normal. My slings do it a lot. Right now I have 2 that I haven't seen for weeks. This is also a good reason to have some other Ts to focus on, because this can drive you nuts when you never see your T!

Major017

Arachnopeon
Leave her be. If she isn't out in excess of 5-6 months I'd start to get worried.

SpiderBrains

Arachnopeon
If it molted in there then you will have a refreshed spider emerging soon enough.

Time for you to take the plunge and acquire more Spiders.
More spiders = more enclosures = more space... And my "dream spider" appears to be hard to come by right now.

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Oh I would get a few more t's. My g pulchra has been hiding for about 2 months now. She is under the substrate against the side of the deli cup so I can still see her. I don't know how tarantulas can live in a hole and not go nuts after a few hours.