should I keep this lizard?

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
My moms recently dumped upon me a western fence lizard. And now I have to deal with it. It's a wild caught lizard and I could release him but the original person apparently had him in their car for 2 weeks so i'm not sure if he's healthy enough to go back. Should I raise him back to health and release him or should I keep him and do whatever with him. The person has also offered me more so I could breed them. Should I breed them? I don't know. They aren't fun or calm so far, but they seem hardy and pretty darn cute.

TylerFishman5675

Arachnosquire
If you have the supplies nesscary (assuming you keep reptiles) go for it, I always feel bad for wild caught reptiles as it takes from the native population, although we also take invertabrates from the wild and put them in plastic containers, but I digress. Its up to you.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
If you have the supplies nesscary (assuming you keep reptiles) go for it, I always feel bad for wild caught reptiles as it takes from the native population, although we also take invertabrates from the wild and put them in plastic containers, but I digress. Its up to you.
I have ZERO supplies for him and it would cost a pretty penny :(. But if I bred them I could make a profit. I don't know i'm gonna sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
I have ZERO supplies for him and it would cost a pretty penny :(. But if I bred them I could make a profit. I don't know i'm gonna sleep on it and see how I feel tomorrow.
You might want to look into your local laws regarding that species to see if you can even legally collect/keep them. Then if you can, using the scientific name find current pricing for them (adults/babies) and weigh that against difficult in breeding, brood size, cost of incubator/hatching materials, food, etc

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
You can buy a 10 gallon cage or even a cardbox and make holes in it for now. A cat or dog water dish for water and a coconut for hiding, maybe even use real coconuts that you buy it stores? Lastly, buy some hamster bedding if you can't find eco earth or wood chips.

MatisIsLoveMantisIsLyf

Arachnobaron
Some do, some dont, lizards can live up to a week without UV if theyre healthy and be fine.. I suggest you leave it out it in the sun for 10-20 minutes daily..

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My moms recently dumped upon me a western fence lizard. And now I have to deal with it. It's a wild caught lizard and I could release him but the original person apparently had him in their car for 2 weeks so i'm not sure if he's healthy enough to go back. Should I raise him back to health and release him or should I keep him and do whatever with him. The person has also offered me more so I could breed them. Should I breed them? I don't know. They aren't fun or calm so far, but they seem hardy and pretty darn cute.
At the end of the day mate, it's only you that can make that decision, do you have time, can you house it correctly, all questions only you my friend can answer, whatever your decision, enjoy.....

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
You might want to look into your local laws regarding that species to see if you can even legally collect/keep them. Then if you can, using the scientific name find current pricing for them (adults/babies) and weigh that against difficult in breeding, brood size, cost of incubator/hatching materials, food, etc
They're legal and the babies that are WILD CAUGHT are 20$ so thats pretty good.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I'm skeptical that you'll be able to make any kind of meaningful profit breeding western fence lizards. The people that make real money breeding exotics are few and far between, and they run sophisticated, professional operations. What's more important, in my view, is that the lizard is wild caught. It belongs in the wild.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I'm skeptical that you'll be able to make any kind of meaningful profit breeding western fence lizards. The people that make real money breeding exotics are few and far between, and they run sophisticated, professional operations. What's more important, in my view, is that the lizard is wild caught. It belongs in the wild.
I'll probably release him as soon as I feel he has eaten enough and is in good shape.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Aren't western fence lizards approximately as common as dirt? Is overcollection that much of a concern?