Should I keep my tarantulas in my closet?

Drezan

Arachnosquire
So I feel a few of my tarantulas have been stressed due to too much light in their current environment. I feel putting them in my closet is a good answer, but I'm afraid if I leave the door closed they may not get enough oxygen. It sounds stupid, I know, but what do you guys suppose?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Yeah, usually more light equals to constant hiding...as they tend to feel exposed. Now keeping them in the closet will be fine either way. Tarantulas require very little oxygen to thrive, but I would still make sure you have some ventilation. Stuffy conditions is the real killer.

Beggottenson

Arachnoknight
I don’t think oxygen is a problem at all, Ts spend days during transportation in small cups that are sealed in boxes

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Thanks guys! I just looked up that they can go weeks without breathing. They need very little oxygen. I check on them daily so I'm sure they will be fine. Thanks!

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Yeah, enough air can get through under the door and at the top. They can be happily kept in darkness. Red light doesn’t bother them at all so if you want to shine a light on them to peek at them you can make a simple filter to use on your smartphone out of red cellophane. Or you can buy a red filter specifically made for phones.

Drezan

Arachnosquire
Well thats not exactly true, tarantulas breathe passively so they require less O2, unlike mammals for example...they still breathe every day though lol. ;)
Oh, well still I'm sure they will be fine. There is a slight crack that stays open in my closet anyway.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Many people keep their Ts in enclosed spaces like closets, cabinets, cases, etc. It is fine to do.

I have a lot of mine on those shelving units with squares that are intended to be used with the soft buckets (am I making ANY sense here? :rofl:). The cubbies are deep enough to keep the Ts in that they are shadowed from most of the light.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Are you a fan of Eminem, by chance? If I reckon well, that douche, years ago, loved to sing some crap about 'the closet' :writer:

LurkingUnderground

Arachnosquire
I like keeping my room dark. I rarely open the blinds on mh window. As such it is the perfect place for them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So I feel a few of my tarantulas have been stressed due to too much light in their current environment. I feel putting them in my closet is a good answer, but I'm afraid if I leave the door closed they may not get enough oxygen. It sounds stupid, I know, but what do you guys suppose?
I would measure the amount of oxygen molecules in the closet first. Studies have shown that too much oxygen or too little can kill animals.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
I’ve got my king cricket, all my bull ant colonies and two funnel webs in a closet. A tarantula will manage just fine. The air coming through the gaps in the door should easily be enough ventilation, especially with the door being opened when you check on the T