Should I intervene with the burrowing? Lasiodora parahybana (Brazilian Salmon Pink)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Thanks :), but my actual point of the threads was what do I do if it caves in on him? Which I'm still worried about but I think the wood chips may help in that regard, as do the plants. But yes, I'm a very indecisive person, overthink everything. It took me half hour one time at best buy, which is 3 minutes from my house, to choose between a 9, and a 12 dollar antenna. heh.

Yah that's my plan. I think he'll be fine. They've survived a long long time without us putting them on clouds. :)

Phases

Arachnoknight
This dude is crazy lol. He can barely squeeze through his entrance now to put more dirt on his mountain range he's apparently trying to form.

Nixphat

Arachnosquire
Yeah, sometimes they seal themselves off and you have to wait FOREVER for them to come back out. My first sling just finally emerged last night :astonished::astonished: I think it was two weeks? Which is chump change in comparison to other Ts ;)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Wow!!

I *could* turn the tank around. His tunnel is now going down the back wall. But that would probably make him less comfortable.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Wow!!

I *could* turn the tank around. His tunnel is now going down the back wall. But that would probably make him less comfortable.
He will continue the digging until it feels itself safe. They are not claustrophobic.

ShyDragoness

Arachnobaron
Ive got a sling atm who is just borrowing like crazy haha, 3 days was all it took before he decided to leave his first tunnel (and bury a mealworm in it) and start making a mega tunnel on the opposite side, its been just over a week now and the lil guys completely sealed himself in but occasionally comes out for a prekilled small cricket before resealing himself back in haha, I wouldnt worry too much :)

Phases

Arachnoknight
Ive got a sling atm who is just borrowing like crazy haha, 3 days was all it took before he decided to leave his first tunnel (and bury a mealworm in it) and start making a mega tunnel on the opposite side, its been just over a week now and the lil guys completely sealed himself in but occasionally comes out for a prekilled small cricket before resealing himself back in haha, I wouldnt worry too much :)
Funny, these dudes are great. Check it out, here he is starting to dig out his burrow:

...and here he is now:

Heh....

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Leave him to get on with it, they're real bulldozers as you can see by the HUGE pile of earth he's excavated, usually the burrow is lined with webbing to strengthen the sides, my O. Schioedtei has done the same although it's a sling. It's perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, if it caves in the spider will manage to dig himself out no problem, @Phases your LP is a strong fella and is built for this kind of behaviour, good for you though, if in doubt give AB a shout...some amount of earth BTW.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I hope she's a girl! I think she probably is nearing pre-molt, being what she is at the size she is, and I think her butt is starting to get bigger and balder, and not from flicking hairs, but I could be wrong.
Their setae don't fall out on there own so it must be from it cleaning itself or defense against prey items, you'll see a dark abdomen slowly getting darker and shiny like inky black.
Is she still eating for you? My LPs will stop eating when they enter premolt (and the larger specimens can spend a decent amount of time in premolt). Fingers crossed that you have a lady! :)
This isn't always the case, my LP 6"+ ate on the morning of it's evening moult although 99% of the time that's true, and yes fingers crossed for a female.

Phases

Arachnoknight
Yes, bulldozer indeed! As far as I can tell, and I've looked pretty good, I see zero webbing in there but, maybe it's just thin or hard to see. Or, coming later. Or not at all till s/he's satisfied with the system! :) Still eating, yet to refuse a meal. It stays 79-82 in here during the day so I throw a cricket in every couplafew days and he doesn't waste any time.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
As far as I can tell, and I've looked pretty good, I see zero webbing in there but, maybe it's just thin or hard to see.
The reinforcing silk is fine and often difficult to see except under the right lighting.

Charlottesweb17

Arachnopeon
I have one that consistently is in its burrow. I think I have seen it once in the 4 months I have had it. Every time I dig its burrow to feed or check for molt skin it repairs it right back up by the following day.
It's a feeling of security although I would hate to find where it's burrow is there is probably lots of cricket carcasses in there lol.