Should i go bioactive?

Javi

Arachnopeon
should i go bioactive with woodlice/woodlouse/isopods for vinegaroons and scorpions???? If yes, can i use wild caught woodlice to breed another set of woodlice in captivity so i can use them for my other exotic pets like scorpions and vinegaroons???

Last edited:

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
Going bioactive is feasble only with species that require a moist substrate. Most species of isopod will desicate easily without it. (Note there are some species native to dry places but they are not readily available). Also unless you acquire a species that is very small you may loose them quickly to predation by the main inhabitant. You may have better luck adding springtails (Columbolla) if you want to go bioactive. They are too tiny for most species to bother eating (note most species) and are easily cultured. I always advise against while caught anything in a captive environment as there’s always a risk of adding accidental pathogens, pesticides etc.

Javi

Arachnopeon
Going bioactive is feasble only with species that require a moist substrate. Most species of isopod will desicate easily without it. (Note there are some species native to dry places but they are not readily available). Also unless you acquire a species that is very small you may loose them quickly to predation by the main inhabitant. You may have better luck adding springtails (Columbolla) if you want to go bioactive. They are too tiny for most species to bother eating (note most species) and are easily cultured. I always advise against while caught anything in a captive environment as there’s always a risk of adding accidental pathogens, pesticides etc.
Can i breed wild caught ones in captivity and use the captive bred ones for my main inhabitants??? Thanks

Dandrobates

Arachnoknight
I suppose it’s possible. But certain species of isopod breed relatively slowly so it may take a while to get a starter culture going. Honestly you’d be better off just ordering a starter culture online with a species that best matches your needs. Once you have a master culture it will produce indefinitely.

Javi

Arachnopeon
I suppose it’s possible. But certain species of isopod breed relatively slowly so it may take a while to get a starter culture going. Honestly you’d be better off just ordering a starter culture online with a species that best matches your needs. Once you have a master culture it will produce indefinitely.
Where can i buy em tho? And do the captive bred woodlice attack fresh molted arachnids?

Last edited:

Scoly

Arachnobaron
Where can i buy em tho? And do the captive bred woodlice attack fresh molted arachnids?
Standard woodlice do attack weak animals. I've heard of moulting centipedes losing antennae, large millipedes being nibbled because they don't move fast enough, and baby millipedes simply being eaten.

Other species like the tropical dwarf whites are deemed to be much safer.

Anyway, all this depends on what scorpion and habitat you're talking about. It is easier with humid environments, but springtails will still thrive in a dry-ish setup provided there are some moist corners, and you can also create a limited bioactive desert setup with death feigning beetles (good vid here:
)

Have you considered using millipedes instead of isopods?

SamanthaMarikian

Arachnoknight
if you’re interested im selling dwarf whites and they breed like rabbits for me and theyre super easy. theres a colony in each of my tropical enclosures