Should I get Asian forest scorpion baby or adult

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
All of my scorpions have been wild caught by me so far, but I am planning on buying an asian forest scorpion. The shop gives the option to get a baby or an adult and I'm wondering what the merits are for either option. I already have a 10 gallon tank set up but I don't know what I would need to do differently for a baby. DSC_0195.JPG

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
All of my scorpions have been wild caught by me so far, but I am planning on buying an asian forest scorpion. The shop gives the option to get a baby or an adult and I'm wondering what the merits are for either option. I already have a 10 gallon tank set up but I don't know what I would need to do differently for a baby. View attachment 298519
You're better off with a smaller enclosure for younger specimens. That 10 gallon is better suited to a sub adult or adult.

Younger ones are nice because you will have them longer and get to see them grow up.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
You're better off with a smaller enclosure for younger specimens. That 10 gallon is better suited to a sub adult or adult.

Younger ones are nice because you will have them longer and get to see them grow up.
How large of a tank would I get for a baby and how long would I need to keep it in a smaller tank for? Is there a reason to not have it in a bigger tank?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
How large of a tank would I get for a baby and how long would I need to keep it in a smaller tank for?
Very young ones in deli cups, slightly larger ones in slightly larger deli cups, a juvenile can live in a small Kritter Keeper (with modified lid to reduce moisture evaporation), and the sub adult / adult specimens can be in a 5.5 or 10 gallon (or larger if desired) Enclosure.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
Very young ones in deli cups, slightly larger ones in slightly larger deli cups, a juvenile can live in a small Kritter Keeper (with modified lid to reduce moisture evaporation), and the sub adult / adult specimens can be in a 5.5 or 10 gallon (or larger if desired) Enclosure.
Thanks. How deep of substrate do they need to burrow in while young? I'm having trouble finding info specifically about the babies care.

BlueEyeOrb

Arachnopeon
I personally have 2 Baby asain forest scorpions, (Babys to me) one is getting close to 2 inches long. but I keep them in a 10 gallon together, pretty sure ones a male and ones a female, I got them when they were like half a inch long, for 10$ each. and I love them, I keep them on my computer desk.

Scorp house.jpg
In my preference I will always get younger species, that way I see their entire lives and hope I gave them the best that they deserve.

@CritterKeeper21 I would have atleast 2 inches of substrate, I have come back many times to have found the cork log that they really enjoy being under will be dug out.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
I prefer younger specimens, because you can raise them up yourself. Older specimens aren't bad, but you never know how old they are when they are caught. Meaning they can die any day you get them. I don't know why, but I always recommend some amount of substrate for them to burrow. Asian forest scorpions always create burrows and dig. Small new born scorplings should be kept in confinement cups, such as 2oz-5oz containers and work the enclosure size up as they grow.
They look amazing when they are freshly molted, they have a purplish color. But they darken back to black.
View media item 56221

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
I personally have 2 Baby asain forest scorpions, (Babys to me) one is getting close to 2 inches long. but I keep them in a 10 gallon together, pretty sure ones a male and ones a female, I got them when they were like half a inch long, for 10$ each. and I love them, I keep them on my computer desk.

View attachment 298546
In my preference I will always get younger species, that way I see their entire lives and hope I gave them the best that they deserve.

@CritterKeeper21 I would have atleast 2 inches of substrate, I have come back many times to have found the cork log that they really enjoy being under will be dug out.
As darkness975 says always buy young given the choice. Personally I would keep the tank and put a divider in either clear plastic or cut glass, if it's a snug fit you can move the divider along as your scorpion grows.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
As darkness975 says always buy young given the choice. Personally I would keep the tank and put a divider in either clear plastic or cut glass, if it's a snug fit you can move the divider along as your scorpion grows.
Do you think that plastic knitting mesh would work as a divider?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Do you think that plastic knitting mesh would work as a divider?
Not to sure what knitting mesh is the plastic fly screen wouldn't work too flimsy, any sort of mesh not a good idea as all scorpions are great climbers, if it's solid it doesn't need to be full height.

CritterKeeper21

Arachnosquire
Not to sure what knitting mesh is the plastic fly screen wouldn't work too flimsy, any sort of mesh not a good idea as all scorpions are great climbers, if it's solid it doesn't need to be full height.
The knitting mesh is fairly sturdy, but i did forget about climbing. Thats a good point.

graysonsmith

Arachnopeon
Sorry to jump on someone else’s post, but I’m new and it won’t let me make my own. I have an Asian scorpion and am worried about him. I am not sure if he is molting or sick. He won’t even move when provoked. The white between his plates is very dry and powdery. His tank has a nice large shallow water dish and reptisoil. What would help? I don’t belive there’s much humidity at all.

Attachments

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Sorry to jump on someone else’s post, but I’m new and it won’t let me make my own. I have an Asian scorpion and am worried about him. I am not sure if he is molting or sick. He won’t even move when provoked. The white between his plates is very dry and powdery. His tank has a nice large shallow water dish and reptisoil. What would help? I don’t belive there’s much humidity at all.
If it was a humidity problem the scorpion would be in the water dish. Looking at the position of the scorpion I think it's passed on, sorry. It could have been a parasite draining the bodily fluids that would account for the powdery appearance leaving just a dry shell. Again , sorry I don't think you can do anything now.

graysonsmith

Arachnopeon
If it was a humidity problem the scorpion would be in the water dish. Looking at the position of the scorpion I think it's passed on, sorry. It could have been a parasite draining the bodily fluids that would account for the powdery appearance leaving just a dry shell. Again , sorry I don't think you can do anything now.
Thank you for the response, I heard him moving around abit at night but I woke up this morning and he has passed on.