Should i feed my Scorpion?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
My scorpion hasn't been eating and has been hiding in its burrow for about a week.
I think he is digging down deeper because i can't even find him in the enclosure anymore.
I know i have been told they don't eat sometimes but I am wondering if he is getting ready to molt...

If he is getting ready to molt, then I'm not sure I want to put a cricket in the cage.
Last time my scorpion ate was when I left a cricket in the cage for him. but that was a few weeks ago at this point.

If I put a cricket in there now and he is molting that can cause issues...
But I don't think he is willing to accept food if I am around (or the lights are on)

What should I do?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
What species is it? Is it looking pre-molt?

They can go for a long time without food; a week is nothing.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
I WAS TOLD He is a Pandinus dictator but a comment I received says he may be an imperitor. And this is my first scorpion... I dont know how they molt...
I DO see him after looking around in his burrow and he is digging deeper. Right now he is tucked up in a corner deep in his burrow.

basin79

ArachnoGod
A week is nothing to a scorpion. If healthy they can go months. As long as the environmental factors are fine (temperature/substrate dampness) just make sure the water dish is kept full.

You could always kill a cricket (squash the head flat) and leave that a few inches from the burrow to ease your mind.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
He is pretty small.
He could fit in the palm of my hand if I ever tried to hold him.
How long does it take to molt and what are some of the signs?

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
SUCCESS!

My Scorpion took the food!
I didn't see him do it but I left it out for him and now its gone! I looked in the burrow and there he was much fatter than before.
Not sure why he is being so shy but I think I should downgrade him to a smaller enclosure. The 10 gallon might be to big if all he is gonna do is sit in his burrow.
Anyways, it looks like he IS eating... I just wish he would get out and explore his cage more often. Baby steps I guess.

basin79

ArachnoGod
SUCCESS!

My Scorpion took the food!
I didn't see him do it but I left it out for him and now its gone! I looked in the burrow and there he was much fatter than before.
Not sure why he is being so shy but I think I should downgrade him to a smaller enclosure. The 10 gallon might be to big if all he is gonna do is sit in his burrow.
Anyways, it looks like he IS eating... I just wish he would get out and explore his cage more often. Baby steps I guess.
DON'T rehouse him. He's been out and took the food. He's comfortable.

PhilMcWonder

Arachnoknight
i should elaborate and say i am not rehousing him any time soon. i mean in the future.