should i feed my scorpion every time it comes out to hunt

Wolfspidurguy

Arachnobaron
hi so i have a juvenile Hadrurus arizonensis which i had never seen come out on its ow accord until 2 nights ago when it started to come out to hunt. my mom gave it a cricket that was wayyy too big for it about 4 days ago that probably died and then the scorpion scavenged it. it looks a little plump but if it feels it needs to hunt does that mean its okay to feed

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Prowling around doesn’t always mean it’s hunting. Offer prey once a week.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I don't know the habits of the species first hand, but I look at it more like don't feed if they're not looking for food. I will feed some of my scorps every few days if they're out and about, others I know it's better just to feed them once a fortnight even though they are out every day because even weekly is too often. A lot depends on the weather, high temperatures increase metabolism and low humidity increases the need for moisture so they are much more likely to feed under those conditions. If you can see them roaming about you can't really go too far wrong, you can just take the cricket out if it's annoying the scorpion, I add a bit of carrot so that the cricket doesn't become hungry if not eaten straight away and this greatly decreases the chance of them nibbling on the scorpion.

KYguy

Arachnopeon
good tip, thanks for that one. I'll put that in my noob notes

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
good tip, thanks for that one. I'll put that in my noob notes
It works for me, but I have had people say it's a waste of time (how much time really? A second? ) and/or that it's just something to introduce mould (on a tiny bit of washed carrot?) or something for mould to grow on (doesn't happen, most times it just dries out) so don't expect a great reception, it's worked for me for over 4 years with scorpions without a problem though and too many years to count with lizards so I have no plans to stop doing it.

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
Hadrurus are absolute gluttons.. it's normal, especially for juvies. dont worry about too much feeding.
also make sure it has access to a full water dish at all times, and this dish must be deep enough for the scorp to submerge its entire face.

tdark1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I might take some heat for this but I for one, will always offer food to juvies until I see them NICE and plump! Maybe I got that from the retics I used to keep, all of which were bottomless pits....

Cheers,

Robert