Should I downsize the enclosure?

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
Since this is my first T, I have it in a 10gal tank I already had. It’s an A. Seemanni and it generally likes to hide all the time. I was wondering if I should get a temporary container instead of the large tank, because it’s still only about 2”. Do you think the large space is stressful for it or should I just let her grow into it as planned?

Attachments

Minty

@londontarantulas
As long as it can’t escape, I wouldn’t bother.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Please post some pictures of the whole enclosure. With oversized enclosures there's often the problem of not enough substrate, especially for an obligate burrower like an A. seemanni. ;)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I’ve changed the hides a bit, but the substrate is still the same. Should I add more?
I would add much more, or switch to a deep Sterilite tub. I gave my adult A. seemani at least 6.5-8" of sub and they went all the way to the bottom.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
If you ask me, I would definitely downsize it for much much smaller enclosure.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I’ve changed the hides a bit, but the substrate is still the same. Should I add more?
Yes, if you keep that enclosure, you should add way more substrate. Not only isn't it enough for the species you have, but there's also the risk of a fall because there's way too much height between the substrate and the top. There should be no more than 1,5x DLS of space between the substrate and the top.

But as the others said before, I'd switch the enclosure for a smaller, but still deep sterilite container or such and provide loads of slightly moist substrate (more moisture in the deeper layers of the substrate (not wet!) and dryer towards the top).

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
Yes, if you keep that enclosure, you should add way more substrate. Not only isn't it enough for the species you have, but there's also the risk of a fall because there's way too much height between the substrate and the top. There should be no more than 1,5x DLS of space between the substrate and the top.

But as the others said before, I'd switch the enclosure for a smaller, but still deep sterilite container or such and provide loads of slightly moist substrate (more moisture in the deeper layers of the substrate (not wet!) and dryer towards the top).
Thanks so much! I will probably rehouse her for now and keep the tank for when she’s larger. Should I start any kind of burrow for her to promote burrowing or leave it flat and let her do her thing?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I'd rehouse to something smaller. Just for ease of maintenance.

It's not exactly going to harm it to leave it in such a giant set up either. Slower growth rate perhaps, and it may be less visible. But no actual harm or stress.

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
I'd rehouse to something smaller. Just for ease of maintenance.

It's not exactly going to harm it to leave it in such a giant set up either. Slower growth rate perhaps, and it may be less visible. But no actual harm or stress.
I think I’ll rehouse it. I’d like to see it more often and I think she is nervous in the big space.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
For what it’s worth, you’ll likely never need a 10-gallon tank for your species. Tarantulas don’t need the amount of room most people think they need. It won’t hurt the spider being in such a large enclosure, provided you up the sub to eliminate the fall risk. But a large enclosure is also not necessary.

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
For what it’s worth, you’ll likely never need a 10-gallon tank for your species. Tarantulas don’t need the amount of room most people think they need. It won’t hurt the spider being in such a large enclosure, provided you up the sub to eliminate the fall risk. But a large enclosure is also not necessary.
I actually just finished rehousing! I think this is much better.

Attachments

Thekla

Arachnoprince
It’s about 4 inches now.
Hm, are you sure? It seems more as if substrate depth and DLS of your spider is about the same, at least from this angle, and that's not enough for this species. With an A. seemanni I'd go with at least 2,5x - 3x DLS of your spider as substrate depth.

I don't have an A. seemanni myself, it's just what I learned about this species. So, other more experienced keepers of this species may correct me, if I'm wrong. :)

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
The substrate depth is definitely about twice the depth it was in the tank, though I will probably add another 2” or so when I can get out and purchase more substrate.

boina

Lady of the mites
Well, the substrate depth does not seem enough to me. The thing is, the spider will try to make a burrow and then constantly have it collaps onto it because there's just not enough of it to provide stability to the burrow. I'd go with a deeper box and more substrate.

And that wooden half log won't work. It will mold faster than you can look. Wood and moisture just don't go together. Get something cork bark, that's much more resistant to mold.

Nightinghoul

Arachnosquire
Well, the substrate depth does not seem enough to me. The thing is, the spider will try to make a burrow and then constantly have it collaps onto it because there's just not enough of it to provide stability to the burrow. I'd go with a deeper box and more substrate.

And that wooden half log won't work. It will mold faster than you can look. Wood and moisture just don't go together. Get something cork bark, that's much more resistant to mold.
There’s definitely room for more substrate and I am planning to add some. And thanks, I’ll look into getting some cork bark!