Should I Change the Substrate?

EricSeamans

Arachnopeon
Hi, all!.
I got my first T, a B. albopilosum, two days ago. I planned on getting a juvenile or adult, but fell in love with a small guy, about an inch big, and names him Queequeg. I have a 12 x 12 x 12 Exo Terra terrarium, but decided to wait until he grows before putting him in there. I have him in a Kritter Keeper right now. At the pet store, the guy set up some Zoo Med hermit crab substrate for me without saying anything (while I was looking around, waiting for the other employee to get my T from the spider room). He told me it was coco fiber, the same as Exo Terra, just a different brand. He made it wetter than I would have. It took about 24 hours for the condensation to dissipate from between the substrate and plastic, and also from right above the substrate. I put a small curved piece of cork bark on top, and Queequeg went under it about an hour after getting home. He covered the entrance with substrate. I left him be, went to bed, and the next morning (yesterday morning), there was a hole for him to get in and out from under the bark. I might be getting off topic, but I want to give all the detail I can. Anyway, today, I came home from work to check on him, and found a small amount of light gray mold on the cork bark where it touches the substrate, not entirely around it, but in a few spots. I have a thermo/hygrometer, and checked the humidity, which is leveling out at about 95%. Should I change his substrate to something dryer and use a new piece of cork bark? Would this stress him out after the car ride home only two days ago? Should I scrape what mold I can off he bark, increase the ventilation in the room, and wait a few days to see what happens? Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Hello! And welcome to T keeping. All slings like slightly moist substrate. Kinda like the moistness consistency of a moist brownie. To achieve this, what you do is gently pour a cup of water down the side of the cage so it gets into the bottom layers of the substrate. The top layer should always be drier than the bottom layer. Tarantulas dig down to get to a cooler microclimate i.e. escaping heat so you want to offer it enough room to do so whilst at the same time not giving it too much space. Condensation is a big concern. If a spiderling is left in a cage with wet substrate without enough proper air flow it will die. Now one instance of condensation is no cause for concern, you just want to be aware of it from this point forward. 99% of mould in T cages is harmless. Now what I'm not familiar with is wether hermit crab substrate is actually straight coco coir. I mean, I guess it could be, but I'd be worried it had additives like sand which is absolutely an inappropriate substrate for a tarantula because it's useless at constructing burrows. Also picture might help people offer more detailed advice.
One more thing: Literally ditch your temperature gauge and hygrometer. "Humidity" as defined by traditional means does nothing for tarantulas. They only sit an inch above the substrate. Thus they don't need "high ambient humidity" they need damp or partially damp substrate. Hope this makes sense!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
a tiny but if mold wont hurt anything. If its easilly accessible, i usually puck out mold if i can and add spring tails if i have any. Hard to say more than that without seeing the situation.

EricSeamans

Arachnopeon
Now what I'm not familiar with is wether hermit crab substrate is actually straight coco coir. I mean, I guess it could be, but I'd be worried it had additives like sand which is absolutely an inappropriate substrate for a tarantula because it's useless at constructing burrows.
Here is the substrate he used. And with your comment on the condensation, I'll be sure to look out for it again, but it did go away and has stayed away as far as I know. I've opened a window and the door to the room I keep him in to get some more moving air.

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Here is the substrate he used. And with your comment on the condensation, I'll be sure to look out for it again, but it did go away and has stayed away as far as I know. I've opened a window and the door to the room I keep him in to get some more moving air.
Interesting! Yeah, that does look like the same exact thing just in a slightly different package!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you give it wallpaper on the container walls, I hear they absolutely love it.

boina

Lady of the mites
If you give it wallpaper on the container walls, I hear they absolutely love it.
Really, could you not be so, well... funny... towards beginners? You know I love you, but sometimes your remarks can grate a bit.

Anyway, for the OP:
Mold is of no concern. Very high humidity, however, is. If it's too wet the sling may easily die, so I would probably change at least part of the substrate with something dryer. Tarantulas are generally pretty resistant to stress and will be able to deal with another disturbance.

EricSeamans

Arachnopeon
Mold is of no concern. Very high humidity, however, is. If it's too wet the sling may easily die, so I would probably change at least part of the substrate with something dryer. Tarantulas are generally pretty resistant to stress and will be able to deal with another disturbance.
I emptied the container and scrubbed it out. I changed the substrate to something much dryer, but still damp, overfilled a bottle cap to give him some choice in moisture, and made his substrate much deeper and denser for more room to burrow. Thanks for your straightforward help!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Really, could you not be so, well... funny... towards beginners? You know I love you, but sometimes your remarks can grate a bit.

Anyway, for the OP:

Yes, yes the German way, specific/accurate/precise.

Perhaps my badge, which reads Old Timer, will make them think I lost my mind for real. :cool: