Should I catch it

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Alright, some of the closer followers of the "Introduce yourself" might remember that i have no T's. But I've been reading and following everything going on here and reading older posts as well to educate myself. But. Here's a question for you. I'm in Arkansas and its about the time of year to see a bunch of innocent little guys skitting across the asphalt. For free. What are some thoughts and opinions on catching T's from the yard?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Go ahead, but don't expect a long companion. The spiders that are roaming are almost universally mature males looking for a female. They've got a year to live, two tops.

It's a bit cruel to pluck the males out of nature in my opinion. I even feel bad for the captive bred ones. They constantly try to escape their enclosure to the point of exhaustion. They eventually simply stop eating and die. Very sad process to witness, not what this hobby is about at all.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I agree with EulersK. But btw man for free there's also their females... you just need to search and scavenge in that area :-s

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Go ahead, but don't expect a long companion. The spiders that are roaming are almost universally mature males looking for a female. They've got a year to live, two tops.

It's a bit cruel to pluck the males out of nature in my opinion. I even feel bad for the captive bred ones. They constantly try to escape their enclosure to the point of exhaustion. They eventually simply stop eating and die. Very sad process to witness, not what this hobby is about at all.
Alright, glad I asked. Wouldve hated to find that out the hard way and feel bad for makin em suffer. Thanks for the advice!

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I agree with EulersK. But btw man for free there's also their females... you just need to search and scavenge in that area :-s
Yep, just stick your hand down strange holes in the dirt and see what bites. Kind of like fishing for catfish :D

patriotgator

Arachnopeon
I'd be afraid of catching a wild tarantula. It might have a disease or have parasites.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I'd be afraid of catching a wild tarantula. It might have a disease or have parasites.
I thought about that, but i also wasn't planning on handling it or exposing other T's to it. Or eating it. So really if it was diseased or had parasites, it would have been the only one effected.

Madmomgamer

Arachnopeon
I know when I was little my moms friend caught a tarantulo (sorry so cute to hear my 4 year old call it that) and gave it to me (I was about 10) it didn't last long maybe a year tops? But I can tell you it was the sweetest thing ever very docile. IMO I would just let them live out their short lives finding a date. Also I wouldn't catch a wild one now. As mentioned above parasites or dieseases can put a huge damper on things especially since new tarantula owners are already paranoid and wanting to help their Ts out anyways and just stress out over feeding, humidity, enclosures, molting etc.(even I still am trying to break that habit of just let them be not hard but def. One that I have to consciously tell myself all the time).

Paiige

Arachnobaron
Yep, just stick your hand down strange holes in the dirt and see what bites. Kind of like fishing for catfish :D
I'd at least consider it if I lived in an area like that! Tie a dubia to a string maybe and lure them out? :smug:

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
I'd at least consider it if I lived in an area like that! Tie a dubia to a string maybe and lure them out? :smug:
If you lived in an area like this, you'd second guess. Copperheads and water moccasins also like those holes! But I have considered following one around and hoping it finds a mate. A. hentzi is super common here, so its not really anything special.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
If you lived in an area like this, you'd second guess. Copperheads and water moccasins also like those holes! But I have considered following one around and hoping it finds a mate. A. hentzi is super common here, so its not really anything special.
Would pouring water into a suspected T hole flush the Lil Furball out... or just drown it?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Would pouring water into a suspected T hole flush the Lil Furball out... or just drown it?
Like my Uncle Mitch always said, tickle the hole.

Get a long blade of dead grass and tickle the entrance of the burrow to simulate prey. Just be careful, because whatever comes out will be expecting a meal.

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
There was a video I watched on youtube a month or so ago of these 2 guys out in the woods and found a bunch of scorpions, tarantulas (big and small), molts,and centipedes. They just stuck their fingers down in the holes where the tarantulas were....I just can't fathom myself bare handed fingering a hole in the wild....

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Btw man if I can permit to say this, you look like Rupert Everett when he was young and inspired Tiziano Sclavi's 'Dylan Dog' (the comic, uh) character.

Christ, in Italy an helluva of Ladies in their 40 would literally jump on you :-s

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
If you have a long enough snake, and a good grip on its tail.. you could probably get a rabbit out of a burrow.