Should I bulk order a bunch of slings?

Kron

Arachnosquire
I've had a bunch of NW species before, gave away most and now I seem to want to buy a bunch again. Was thinking 2 Euathlus parvulus (my fav), G. pulchripes, B. albopilosum and some OWs; C. marshelli, H. maculata, O. schioedtei and/or O. violaceopes; none of which I've had before. Anyone else made a big impulase buy like this and did it work out well? and any other tips and such would be good, been out of the hobby for a while, currently only have a Paraphysa scrofa and an Aphonepelma seemani

Kron

Arachnosquire
and like are OWs actually fun to have or should I just live an easy life? :')

Kron

Arachnosquire
Yeah had a very spooky big male P. cambridgei... he was very lively

Truetran

Arachnopeon
It doesn't but I impulse most things :/
If you recognize its impulsive and you think it doesnt sound like a good idea I'd say you've already got your answer

Be patient, if you still want them in a month go for it

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
O. schioedtei and/or O. violaceopes
These have reverted to Cyriopagopus (schioedtei) and Lampropelma (violaceopes).

The only one of the OW species you mentioned that I own is H. maculata, they are extremely fragile as slings (one of the two slings I received died within a week, the other is about an inch now) and they are pants-cackingly fast.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I've had a bunch of NW species before, gave away most and now I seem to want to buy a bunch again. Was thinking 2 Euathlus parvulus (my fav), G. pulchripes, B. albopilosum and some OWs; C. marshelli, H. maculata, O. schioedtei and/or O. violaceopes; none of which I've had before. Anyone else made a big impulase buy like this and did it work out well? and any other tips and such would be good, been out of the hobby for a while, currently only have a Paraphysa scrofa and an Aphonepelma seemani
Are these going to be pets only or are you planning to breed in the future?

If you plan to breed eventually, get two of each one to increase your chances of getting a female and a male.

If these are only pets and you dont plan on breeding then get one of each and enjoy your Ts!!!

All of my Ts (except maybe the freebies) I have two or more of each and I have 4 of one species , three of another plus a freebie coming today lol....Then Friday I have five of another species coming lol

Also if you are going to bulk order, many sellers will give you deals on bulk orders

Last edited:

MetalMan2004

Arachnodemon
If you can plan ahead enough to have enclosures and feeders ready then i don’t see an issue with it. Depends on what you mean by “bulk” though. 2-4 of each isn’t bad. Buy a whole sac from someone probably isn’t a great idea though.

Also, if cambridgei was spooky to you, you might want to rethink old worlds a bit...not saying don’t do it, just sayinng make sure you are prepared.

Swoop

Arachnosquire
Personally I would go with juveniles or sub-adults for anything OW. Even a sling can give you a nasty bite and the smaller they are, the more re-houses you have to do in the future.

But for NW slings definitely buy in bulk!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Impulse buying pets really doesn't seem like a sound decision, especially in bulk
I'm about irrational and unsound as they come then. If you start getting bigger numbers, having extras for trade or sale when you find the one you want is a plus. Buying that first tarantula when you've never had one and didn't think about it before is a true impulse buy. Buying a bunch on a whim later on is just padding the numbers or feeding the addiction.

Heck yeah, I usually buy slings in 4's. I've bought slings in bulk a few times, but really only when the deal is right. Also, it's never to early to get picky. Look for the girl and sell or trade the rest, unless you want to breed. Get more T's with those extras. I'm not looking for a bunch of slings that clog up space later on because not as many people want them. Slings like the B albos (hobby) and H macs are ones that you may be stuck with later.
Those arboreals are serious stuff though. If you are dead set on an OW arboreal, I might steer you to Pokies. You'll have an easier time. Also an option, get some Psalmopoeus.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Are these going to be pets only or are you planning to breed in the future?

If you plan to breed eventually, get two of each one to increase your chances of getting a female and a male.

If these are only pets and you dont plan on breeding then get one of each and enjoy your Ts!!!
I think you might need to recheck your math on this one...? ;)

Ok, so if you get any fewer that two of each, it is completely impossible to get both a female and a male, so by getting two there is at least a chance of getting a pair. (Increasing the chance of getting a pair from 0% to 50%, assuming an equal chance of getting either a male or a female for each spider.) But if OP really wants to increase his/her chances of getting both a male and a female (if he/she is even interested in breeding) he/she should get more than two of each.

Last edited:

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I think you might need to recheck your math on this one...? ;)

Ok, so if you get any fewer that two of each, it is completely impossible to get both a female and a male, so by getting two there is at least a chance of getting a pair. (Increasing the chance of getting a pair from 0% to 50%, assuming an equal chance of getting either a male or a female for each spider.) But if OP really wants to increase his/her chances of getting both a male and a female (if he/she is even interested in breeding) he/she should get more than two of each.

Oops lol then what I should’ve said was “your chances will increase to get a female if you buy two”? @chanda

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
I'm in the same boat right now. I hadn't really kept anything since I had kids. Now two of them are in high school, and the other is old enough to be into it with me.

In the last 3 months I've collected 17. Mostly OWs. I say go hog wild.

The hobby sure has changed a bunch in 15 years.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm in the same boat right now. I hadn't really kept anything since I had kids. Now two of them are in high school, and the other is old enough to be into it with me.

In the last 3 months I've collected 17. Mostly OWs. I say go hog wild.

The hobby sure has changed a bunch in 15 years.

Which old worlds do you have??