Should I be worried? pt. 2

Ernie0827

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, it's me again! So my sling came out of it's hide. She still hasn't molted, although I'm quite concerned, it is the first time I see her out in about 4 weeks, and she is extremely skinny... when she went into hiding, she was plump and dark in color. now she is skinny and very dull... I am going out of town for the weekend... should I be concerned as to come home to a B. smithi in a death curl??

I tried to take a pic... but she instantly ran back into her hide as I opened the top of her enclosure... I guess that's a good sign... shes not lethargic at least...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Going from plump to really skinny in four weeks is a surprise. If it’s dark in color (the abdomen predominantly) then it’s getting close to molting. I would put in a prekilled feeder and see if it takes it before you go, if not then remove it. Also make sure it has a full water dish. How large is the T?

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
T's are much hardier than us newbies think. Especially B. smithi. There's good reason they are recommended as beginner species.

Has she been eating at all? Are you certain she hasn't moulted in her hide and you just can't see the moult?

Ernie0827

Arachnopeon
D6C0BF4C-6080-462F-9FB5-85C87F69FEB4.jpeg DEAE5EAD-C572-4861-871F-F487D662B2F6.jpeg
Going from plump to really skinny in four weeks is a surprise. If it’s dark in color (the abdomen predominantly) then it’s getting close to molting. I would put in a prekilled feeder and see if it takes it before you go, if not then remove it. Also make sure it has a full water dish. How large is the T?
She’s about a the size of a quarter... and she wasn’t “fat” she was healthy plump, the first pic is how she is now, the second one is when she first got dark, sorry for the bad quality, it was taken through the jar..

Ernie0827

Arachnopeon
T's are much hardier than us newbies think. Especially B. smithi. There's good reason they are recommended as beginner species.

Has she been eating at all? Are you certain she hasn't moulted in her hide and you just can't see the moult?
I’m certain she hasn’t molted... and I really hope she holds up, and she refused to eat for about a week, then she got dark, so I didn’t want to disturb her after that

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
View attachment 289282 View attachment 289283

She’s about a the size of a quarter... and she wasn’t “fat” she was healthy plump, the first pic is how she is now, the second one is when she first got dark, sorry for the bad quality, it was taken through the jar..
That was pretty plump, I’d say leave in a prekilled feeder in front of its hide and if it doesn’t take it before you leave take it out. Make sure the water dish is full.

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Looks like it molted.
X2

Now that I’m looking at it better and I’m not in a rush, it does look like it molted. Only real explanation for it to go from that plump to that skinny in that amount of time

AnObeseHippo

Arachnoknight
X2

Now that I’m looking at it better and I’m not in a rush, it does look like it molted. Only real explanation for it to go from that plump to that skinny in that amount of time
X3

Looks like it's doing a nice starfish-esque stretch

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Water is more important than food. And I fully agree a molt has happened!

cold blood

Staff member
She still hasn't molted, although I'm quite concerned, it is the first time I see her out in about 4 weeks, and she is extremely skinny... when she went into hiding, she was plump and dark
This means she molted...these is no other explanation...there's a molt in the hide somewhere.

weibkreux

Arachnoknight
She molted and is now showing off some colors. You can offer a pre-killed prey in front of the hide, and remove after 24hrs if she didn't take it.

Ernie0827

Arachnopeon
That was pretty plump, I’d say leave in a prekilled feeder in front of its hide and if it doesn’t take it before you leave take it out. Make sure the water dish is full.
I came back Sunday, she was fine but still no moult, last night I left in a pre-killed crix, and this morning I saw she had taken in into her hide. I can barely see her, but she still on her legs, so I doubt she’s going to moult anytime soon... I’ll keep an eye on her and try another pre-killed in a few weeks if she still hasn’t moulted

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I came back Sunday, she was fine but still no moult, last night I left in a pre-killed crix, and this morning I saw she had taken in into her hide. I can barely see her, but she still on her legs, so I doubt she’s going to moult anytime soon... I’ll keep an eye on her and try another pre-killed in a few weeks if she still hasn’t moulted
I'm not sure if you read the other posts, but it has already molted. I just didn't look at the picture close enough on my phone the first time.

Ernie0827

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure if you read the other posts, but it has already molted. I just didn't look at the picture close enough on my phone the first time.
But then where is the moult? Her hide is empty and her abdomen is still dark

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
But then where is the moult? Her hide is empty and her abdomen is still dark
I'm a newbie so don't know this from experience but have read that some T's like to tear up their moults. I think it's more common for slings and juveniles to to do this. Yours could have torn it up and you're looking for the wrong thing?

In my beginner opinion it would seem impossible for a T to lose so much size in such a short time. They have a very slow metabolism

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I agree with others that it really looks like your T has molted. It isn't uncommon that they keep the molt in their hide or they get buried. It might be unearthed eventually. That's great that it ate, and make sure it has access to water, and should be fine!