1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping tarantula

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Pseudo, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    My male Avicularia avicularia has reached sexual maturity. I am shipping him to a breeder two states away. I watched a video on how to safely ship tarantulas, but I was wondering if anyone has some tips or pointers to help ensure he travels safely.

2. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight

A styrofoam-lined box, a heat pack specifically designed for animal transport (assuming cold weather), cushioning material (newspaper, etc.), 16oz deli cup (your male is small enough to fit) with plenty of tissue to absorb impacts of shipping.

This is what I would do for your male - it is by no means the only way.
    1. Prepare the shipping box with styrofoam and cushioning material.
    2. Poke a few holes on the deli cup. Line the inside with slightly moist paper towel. Be generous with this. Create a plug to cap the male inside and secure the lid with tape. Steven Stamps uploaded a very detailed video guide.
    3. The deli cup should not be touching the walls of the box. Use plenty of cushioning material around the deli cup to absorb pressure.
    4. Secure the heat pack in place. Should not be in direct contact with deli cup.
    I prefer to drop off any packages for shipment an hour before my post office closes. In turn, I pack tarantulas for shipment later during the day (~4pm) around two hours before my post office closes (depends on how many specimens are being packed). If this is your first time packing, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to prepare and drive to the post office given that you have all supplies ready.

Contact your post office when is the latest they take and ship overnight, assuming you choose overnight, shipments.

• Helpful x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Clarification Please x 1
  3. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    I hope, by "my post office," you do not mean a U.S. Postal Service office. It is a federal crime to ship spiders through USPS.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight

Don’t mention it? lmao

• Love Love x 1
  5. CyclingSam

CyclingSam Arachnoknight

Utah
    If you get caught, besides the criminal punishment, you draw negative attention to the hobby as a whole. Negative attention to a hobby that already has a PR problem is bad for all of us.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    I'm not saying it's not a felony, but a lot of people ship through USPS a lot and I've never heard of anyone getting caught. The volume of packages the post office moves daily makes it so they cant possibly inspect even 1/1000 packages they have. Unless someone tries to cut open your box and steal your mail (a felony itself) you most likely wont have a problem. You're not really supposed to ship them at all as there aren't any carriers that allow you to ship venomous animals (they all say its okay to ship non venomous) but we all have Ts and a lot of them came in the mail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

The shipping kit I bought from ship your reptiles has perishable on the box. Should I claim him as a perishable when I send him?

8. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnoknight

As long as you’re not obligated to pay more. I always see packages with “Handle With Care, Fragile,” etc. whenever I visit my post office. Not every worker will take the labels seriously, obviously. I have only shipped a couple dozen packages so far, and I have not had any issues regarding DOA... knocks on wood :D. Cushion the containers within the box to help absorb impacts from shipping.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

I asked about that today when I shipped out a molt, and I was told they would not charge more.

10. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Just because you haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it hasn't happened, right?

In fact people have gotten busted on this issue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoangel Active Member

Texas
    Really? Do you know how they got caught and what happened to them?

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Jhawk023

Jhawk023 Arachnopeon Active Member

I have t read on anyone getting caught but I know how USPS is about shipping and it’s aweful. FedEx usually does the best as it’s not a Federal service but private so you run no legal risk of shipment with them. USPS allows shipment of scorpions but only for medical purpose and for use in production of anti-venom. A lot of people still ship with USPS but I agree with others in the risk to hobby is not worth the rewards.

13. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Something bad, man. They ended in the same cell with 'Bubba' :troll:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Pseudo

Pseudo Arachnosquire

Mine has already shipped and is in the same state as the breeder. Luckily, I won't be with Bubba. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I was joking, obviously. Well, joking about what could had happened to those fellas, because as far 'Bubba' is concerned, he's real :angelic:

• Like Like x 1
  16. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Don't know HOW, but do know they were caught. What happened, maybe fines, animals taken away etc.