Shipping tarantula

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
My male Avicularia avicularia has reached sexual maturity. I am shipping him to a breeder two states away. I watched a video on how to safely ship tarantulas, but I was wondering if anyone has some tips or pointers to help ensure he travels safely.

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
A styrofoam-lined box, a heat pack specifically designed for animal transport (assuming cold weather), cushioning material (newspaper, etc.), 16oz deli cup (your male is small enough to fit) with plenty of tissue to absorb impacts of shipping.

This is what I would do for your male - it is by no means the only way.
  1. Prepare the shipping box with styrofoam and cushioning material.
  2. Poke a few holes on the deli cup. Line the inside with slightly moist paper towel. Be generous with this. Create a plug to cap the male inside and secure the lid with tape. Steven Stamps uploaded a very detailed video guide.
  3. The deli cup should not be touching the walls of the box. Use plenty of cushioning material around the deli cup to absorb pressure.
  4. Secure the heat pack in place. Should not be in direct contact with deli cup.
I prefer to drop off any packages for shipment an hour before my post office closes. In turn, I pack tarantulas for shipment later during the day (~4pm) around two hours before my post office closes (depends on how many specimens are being packed). If this is your first time packing, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to prepare and drive to the post office given that you have all supplies ready.

Contact your post office when is the latest they take and ship overnight, assuming you choose overnight, shipments.

CyclingSam

Arachnoknight
I prefer to drop off any packages for shipment an hour before my post office closes. In turn, I pack tarantulas for shipment later during the day (~4pm) around two hours before my post office closes (depends on how many specimens are being packed). If this is your first time packing, it shouldn't take you more than an hour to prepare and drive to the post office given that you have all supplies ready.

Contact your post office when is the latest they take and ship overnight, assuming you choose overnight, shipments.
I hope, by "my post office," you do not mean a U.S. Postal Service office. It is a federal crime to ship spiders through USPS.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
I'm not saying it's not a felony, but a lot of people ship through USPS a lot and I've never heard of anyone getting caught. The volume of packages the post office moves daily makes it so they cant possibly inspect even 1/1000 packages they have. Unless someone tries to cut open your box and steal your mail (a felony itself) you most likely wont have a problem. You're not really supposed to ship them at all as there aren't any carriers that allow you to ship venomous animals (they all say its okay to ship non venomous) but we all have Ts and a lot of them came in the mail.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
A styrofoam-lined box, a heat pack specifically designed for animal transport (assuming cold weather), cushioning material (newspaper, etc.), 16oz deli cup (your male is small enough to fit) with plenty of tissue to absorb impacts of shipping.

This is what I would do for your male - it is by no means the only way.
  1. Prepare the shipping box with styrofoam and cushioning material.
  2. Poke a few holes on the deli cup. Line the inside with slightly moist paper towel. Be generous with this. Create a plug to cap the male inside and secure the lid with tape. Steven Stamps uploaded a very detailed video guide.
  3. The deli cup should not be touching the walls of the box. Use plenty of cushioning material around the deli cup to absorb pressure.
  4. Secure the heat pack in place. Should not be in direct contact with deli cup.

The shipping kit I bought from ship your reptiles has perishable on the box. Should I claim him as a perishable when I send him?

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
The shipping kit I bought from ship your reptiles has perishable on the box. Should I claim him as a perishable when I send him?
As long as you’re not obligated to pay more. I always see packages with “Handle With Care, Fragile,” etc. whenever I visit my post office. Not every worker will take the labels seriously, obviously. I have only shipped a couple dozen packages so far, and I have not had any issues regarding DOA... knocks on wood :D. Cushion the containers within the box to help absorb impacts from shipping.

Pseudo

Arachnosquire
As long as you’re not obligated to pay more. I always see packages with “Handle With Care, Fragile,” etc. whenever I visit my post office. Not every worker will take the labels seriously, obviously. I have only shipped a couple dozen packages so far, and I have not had any issues regarding DOA... knocks on wood :D. Cushion the containers within the box to help absorb impacts from shipping.
I asked about that today when I shipped out a molt, and I was told they would not charge more.

Jhawk023

Arachnopeon
I have t read on anyone getting caught but I know how USPS is about shipping and it’s aweful. FedEx usually does the best as it’s not a Federal service but private so you run no legal risk of shipment with them. USPS allows shipment of scorpions but only for medical purpose and for use in production of anti-venom. A lot of people still ship with USPS but I agree with others in the risk to hobby is not worth the rewards.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Mine has already shipped and is in the same state as the breeder. Luckily, I won't be with Bubba. o_O
I was joking, obviously. Well, joking about what could had happened to those fellas, because as far 'Bubba' is concerned, he's real :angelic: