1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shipping recluses and widows

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by GiantVinegaroon, Mar 25, 2010.

1. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Advertisement
    Are there any laws behind shipping brown recluse and black widows? Or does it vary from state to state?

2. 8by8

8by8 Arachnoknight Old Timer

I dont think its legal to send any spider under conventional shipping. What I suggest to you is just not tell anyone whats in the box.

3. its legal if you label the box harmless feeder insects.

4. 8by8

8by8 Arachnoknight Old Timer

Exactly. A little white lie.

5. JC

JC Arachnoprince

Its glass....

6. David_F

David_F Arachnoprince Old Timer

Actually, it's illegal to ship venomous arthropods, with the exception of scorpions and bees (and it's only legal to ship those for research/educational purposes...or something like that), through USPS. Outside of USPS, each shipping company (UPS, FedEx, etc) has its own policy regarding venomous bugs. Check with them if you're really concerned

Since AB doesn't condone discussion of illegal activity I won't tell you how to get away with it. I will say that it's very easy, regardless of the shipping method you choose. Just make sure safety for yourself, the recipient, and the carrier are your top priority. Pack well. And print your shipping labels or have very good penmanship. Wouldn't want the wrong person getting a box full of widows unexpectedly, would we?

7. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

It's a felony to send through the USPS, and violates company policy of FedEX, UPS, and pretty much any other carrier. This is true not only of widows and recluses, but ANY spider.

8. GiantVinegaroon

GiantVinegaroon Arachnoprince

Thanks for the info! I was very curious because I was considering purchasing one, but wasn't clear on the laws. Guess I'll have to find my own. :eek:

9. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

any but mesothelae and uloboridae =P

do you have a link to it being a felony? it certainly violates their TOS and rules, but i have never seen a good link to the felony thing

10. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

Violating the TOS/rules of the US Post Office is a felony.
    Stealing mail=felony, and so forth.

11. loxoscelesfear

loxoscelesfear Arachnoprince Old Timer

heck, if you are just purchasing and not shipping, then order them.

12. cacoseraph

a link is short for hyperlink. it is this funny thing that automatically directs you to other locations on the internet

=P

you don't understand. i have had dozens, perhaps hundreds, of ppl tell me stuff they "know"... that is just plain BS. i do my own research... i am not much on word of mouth

13. jebbewocky

jebbewocky Arachnoangel

I know what a link is, I just didn't have the time to find one.
    Paul Becker, petcenterusa.net used to have the specifics listed on his website, but he doesn't have the full thing up since he revamped his site.
    Doing some research here on the boards.

For some reason the USPS site keeps crashing on me. =/

14. cacoseraph

meh, iirc my thread was at least that good if not better

15. cacoseraph

also, there is now an intraCA shipper that does do spiders and stuff. expensive though

16. If you fancy shipping any of these to England let me know ;)

17. cacoseraph

whew! that is how you cross the line from illegal to megasuperillegal =P

are there really no widows in UK? i know northern ireland doesn't have any native widow species that i could research up... but i haven't studied any other parts of UK at all

and if not in nature or introduced... surely you have them in the hobby?

i bet you need a DWA for them, though