Shipping millipedes

NDsnake

Arachnopeon
So I have about 80-100 2-4" Spirostreptus sp. 1 I bred that I'd like to try selling. I've never shipped any animals before and am a little nervous about the shipping process. I'm familiar with how to pack them, I've received a lot of shipped animals (including millipedes), but what service should I use to ship them? I know BiCS uses USPS and just does Priority Mail Express, but should I look into FedEx or something else? And when I do ship them, do I just write the addresses myself or do I have to print labels with them specially? Do they require any special stickers (Live Animal, etc.), and should I provide heat packs for millipedes?

Thank you everyone! The millipedes have been doing great, they're a cool species, but I do not need this many haha.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I have yet to ship any animals myself, but I am very interested in your millipedes themselves. How much are you selling them for?

Thanks

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Don't forget you can also increase your population through trades. I have made many trades here and have always been happy.

Your best bet on shipping is to pay attention to what has been shipped to you. Have you had any problems? What could you do better? Some people ship with no substrate; probably because of the weight. I like them to be in substrate but I also press wet paper towels on top. They would suffer from desiccation as quickly as they would from temperature drops. I usually put a slice of cucumber or apple with them.

I think it is very important to label each container and put the # included on the lid. That way people know exactly for what they need to "search". Try to cushion the boxes for the rough handling they are bound to receive.

Take a look at "unboxing" videos on YouTube to gather other information. Good luck in your endeavors. Always remember the Golden Rule. :cat:

NDsnake

Arachnopeon
Thank you mickiem! I think what I'm going to do is order millipedes from someone and see how they do it. I think I got packing down, I'm just more unsure about USPS/FedEx/UPS.

Arthroverts, I'm not sure yet. I'll message you, maybe I can give you a discount if you agree to be the "guinea pig" for my first attempt at shipping!

mickiem

Arachnoprince
Thank you mickiem! I think what I'm going to do is order millipedes from someone and see how they do it. I think I got packing down, I'm just more unsure about USPS/FedEx/UPS.

Arthroverts, I'm not sure yet. I'll message you, maybe I can give you a discount if you agree to be the "guinea pig" for my first attempt at shipping!
I ship with USPS. I think they are more reliable and cheaper in the overall. Also, they are a block from my house and the FedEx is 6 miles away. When I have a lot of orders and not a lot of time, I would hate to have to travel 6 miles to get something done. Convenience should be a factor for your sanity!

the league of shadows

Arachnopeon
Don't forget you can also increase your population through trades. I have made many trades here and have always been happy.

Your best bet on shipping is to pay attention to what has been shipped to you. Have you had any problems? What could you do better? Some people ship with no substrate; probably because of the weight. I like them to be in substrate but I also press wet paper towels on top. They would suffer from desiccation as quickly as they would from temperature drops. I usually put a slice of cucumber or apple with them.

I think it is very important to label each container and put the # included on the lid. That way people know exactly for what they need to "search". Try to cushion the boxes for the rough handling they are bound to receive.

Take a look at "unboxing" videos on YouTube to gather other information. Good luck in your endeavors. Always remember the Golden Rule. :cat:
Wow that was very helpful.thank you for sharing.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
For general shipping stuff:
-use USPS click-n-ship for 2-3 day shipping, it’s the cheapest method and usually has no DOA.
-use FEDEX or UPS overnight instead of USPS. All I hear is crap on USPS overnight.
-with this cold a$$ weather I recommend insulating boxes, polyester stuffing and foam walls work well.
-label each item on what it is. (Common sense stuff)
-pack with love

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Just completed my transaction with NDsnake, went very well! Prices are better than BICs when it comes to size of the millipedes, shipping was very reasonable, and everything came alive and well. Highly suggest this seller to anyone looking for Spirostreptus sp. 1, the Globular Millipede.

Thanks

The Odd Pet

Arachnoknight
So I have about 80-100 2-4" Spirostreptus sp. 1 I bred that I'd like to try selling. I've never shipped any animals before and am a little nervous about the shipping process. I'm familiar with how to pack them, I've received a lot of shipped animals (including millipedes), but what service should I use to ship them? I know BiCS uses USPS and just does Priority Mail Express, but should I look into FedEx or something else? And when I do ship them, do I just write the addresses myself or do I have to print labels with them specially? Do they require any special stickers (Live Animal, etc.), and should I provide heat packs for millipedes?

Thank you everyone! The millipedes have been doing great, they're a cool species, but I do not need this many haha.
I know this is old but I sent you a message anyway in hopes you still have some.