Shipping Assassin Bugs

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
I'm considering selling off some of my P. biguttatus but I was wondering what the rule of thumb is for heat/cold packs. I've shipped them out once before but the weather was a bit more mild. I'm in California so it's been pretty hot lately, should i use a cold pack or just avoid shipping altogether right now? In general I'm not too sure if I should use heat/cold packs based on their destination or where they are being shipped out from. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm considering selling off some of my P. biguttatus but I was wondering what the rule of thumb is for heat/cold packs. I've shipped them out once before but the weather was a bit more mild. I'm in California so it's been pretty hot lately, should i use a cold pack or just avoid shipping altogether right now? In general I'm not too sure if I should use heat/cold packs based on their destination or where they are being shipped out from. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Not that I've ever been on the shipping end - just the receiving end - but you have to consider the temperatures at both the shipping and receiving ends, plus temperatures along the most likely route in transit. Getting too hot/too cold at any point along the route can be detrimental to the bugs. Also, if your probable route takes them through areas that are experiencing severe weather (such as the current hurricanes/floods) there could be significant delays where they might spend several days sitting in a warehouse somewhere.

You could try offering them for local-pickup only until the weather cools down, if the heat is a concern. I'm also in California (SoCal) and the temperatures here are far too hot to ship without cold packs - highs in the 90s and 100s. Where in California are you located?

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
I'm in SoCal as well, I figured with how hot it's been lately it wouldn't be a great idea to ship, especially without cold packs. Do you happen to know around what temperatures hot/cold packs are typically used? Assassins are pretty hardy but I'm assuming a heat pack should be used for below 60 and a cold pack for above 85?

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't know. I've never shipped anything myself, I've just been on the receiving end a few times. But if you do decide to sell for local pickup, I might be interested in a few! (Depending, of course, on just how "local" you are!)

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
Ah, no problem. I more than likely will end up selling some for local pickup. I'm in Orange County but I don't mind driving a bit.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ah, no problem. I more than likely will end up selling some for local pickup. I'm in Orange County but I don't mind driving a bit.
Please pm me the details if you decide to sell some. I'm in Redlands but am also willing to drive a bit.

Redmont

The collector
You can ship them in a insalated shiped, just got some foam at menards they should have some with a reflective side and cut it to fit the box with the reflective side facing out. A cold pack would be a good idea, if it's just hot in Cali and cool the rest of the way in transit it may not need a cool pack

Psydeus565

Arachnopeon
I'm down in San Diego and would be interested in a local pickup if you end up selling some!

MaelRadec

Arachnopeon
You can ship them in a insalated shiped, just got some foam at menards they should have some with a reflective side and cut it to fit the box with the reflective side facing out. A cold pack would be a good idea, if it's just hot in Cali and cool the rest of the way in transit it may not need a cool pack
Hmm, okay that was the thing I was wondering about for the most part. Thank you for the advice.