Shhhh....

apidaeman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm torn should or shouldn't I, tell the everyone in the house that H. lividum has escaped?
I'll probably find her before anyone one else. Yet they should know so they can check their shoes, til I find her.

Of all the T's in my collection it had to be H. lividum. Why can't it just be Brachypelma something or Grammostola.

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ha ha Depends on how your family feels about your T's. My husband lost a tiger rump two weeks ago and i wont tell anyone. Ha ha. All my sisters came into town last weekend too.;P But maybe you should tell because of the type of T it is.
Tay

bugster

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yea, i'd tell

that could be one seriously rude awakening!! you'd better tell, but u know ur folks better than any of us do!! LOL!!

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We had an unexpected hatch of OBT's in an exoterra several months ago....found one stray sling about 1" in an adjacent tank...and there have GOT to be others still floating around downstairs.....
But we have never told the roomie. {D
Apache helicopters would be called in immediately for a firestrike on the whole block.....
:razz:
Hope you find lividum soooon! How big is it, anyway?

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm torn should or shouldn't I, tell the everyone in the house that H. lividum has escaped?
I'll probably find her before anyone one else. Yet they should know so they can check their shoes, til I find her.

Of all the T's in my collection it had to be H. lividum. Why can't it just be Brachypelma something or Grammostola.
Oh maaaaaan, those things had to be Maximum security lock up jail spiders
I had an escapee couple yrs ago, found her TG!
check all corners a tight spots, make sure u get deli cup with lid ready {D
best of luck to you :eek:

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh maaaaaan, those things had to be Maximum security lock up jail spiders
I had an escapee couple yrs ago, found her TG!
check all corners a tight spots, make sure u get deli cup with lid ready {D
best of luck to you :eek:
Don't forget the ten-foot pole, that's about all I'd touch a lividum with. Considering the personality of this t, my suggestion is to start at the container (as you normally would) and look outward from there, paying special attention to dark, small spaces. It's a burrowing species so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be perched in a well-lit area waiting to be swept off its feet and carried back safely home. :p And as fast as my girl was anyway, I think you'll need something a bit bigger than a deli cup to catch it with, maybe something closer to a 10-gallon plastic tote or something, lol.
Seriously though, good luck to you.
Oh and to the OP, yeah, I think I would tell the family. I know I wouldn't let my husband mosey around the house with a lividum lurking somewhere. ;)

apidaeman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I found her.:D I do have a just in case system in place in my T room. I have small boxes with holes cut in them so if a T were to escape they would likely seek shelter in them. When I posted this earlier though she was not in any of them, so I was quite concerned.
Thankfully I didn't have to tell anyone about the event.:eek:

Hope you find lividum soooon! How big is it, anyway?
4.5 inches, her sisters are only 4 inches.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found her.:D I do have a just in case system in place in my T room. I have small boxes with holes cut in them so if a T were to escape they would likely seek shelter in them. When I posted this earlier though she was not in any of them, so I was quite concerned.

great!, how lock her up and trow away the key, hehe
or put a combination lock and for the sakes of havens dont tell her code :eek:

von_z

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ha! Glad you found her. I put a cricket in with my little 2 inch H. lividum the other night, and in the morning, found that the cricket had chewed a hole in the screen on the lid!!!:eek: Luckily, my little T. was still in her burrow, but that gave me a scare, so I feel your pain...lol

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a really cool idea, the boxes and such to recover your spiders in.

Another way that I read about on AB is to crank up the air conditioner (if you have one, I don't) and start pointing a hairdryer at things. Often times the spider will come out seeking the heat.

What I do with my slings is I put out dust cloths. My spiders seem to really like the fuzzy things. I put the enclosures on the cloths and if the spiders get out they calm down and stop running as soon as they touch the stuff. It's weird.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

Thats pretty brilliant actually.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I do with my slings is I put out dust cloths. My spiders seem to really like the fuzzy things. I put the enclosures on the cloths and if the spiders get out they calm down and stop running as soon as they touch the stuff. It's weird.
What kind of "dust cloths" are you talking about? :?

Ha! Shows how much housekeeping I do! LOL

saminthemiddle

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are these special static cling lint cloths that are really soft and fuzzy.

By the way, I never said I use them for CLEANING!!!

The tag says:

100% Micro-fibre
80% Polyester
20% Polyamide

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
any tarantula that gets loose...the house occupents should be notified.
usumbaras and haplopelmas loose and no one told....shame folks shame:embarrassed: .
Not to mention the implications of a bite from both of these species but there could be problems legally or health wise.

josh_r

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
any tarantula that gets loose...the house occupents should be notified.
usumbaras and haplopelmas loose and no one told....shame folks shame:embarrassed: .
Not to mention the implications of a bite from both of these species but there could be problems legally or health wise.

very well said john. when i was a kid, i always had something loose. a brachy, an aphonopelma, a cyriopagopus named Beavis, an 8" scolopendra gigantea name wedgehead..... my moms reation to that one was...... "hey josh, wedgeheads crawling across the floor" as she continues to blow dry her hair in a 'im used to it' kind of atittude. another time, it was, "josh, beavis is loose and she doesnt look very happy", once again, blow drying her hair. lol, indeed, beavis was NOT happy..... the only time my mom ever freaked out about anything getting out was when a latrodectus hesperus had babies while i was in california and ALL 6 SACS WORTH OF BABIES WERE WEBBING UP MY ENTIRE CLOSET AND PART OF MY ROOM!!!! she said it freaked her out! but, i got a very mellow, silly phone call from my mom. she was laughing about the situation. i have a really understanding and tolerant mom :D

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had an H. lividum once... She got out and my cat found her and that was the end of the H. lividum. LOL

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We don't worry about the obt slings as much as we worry about recluses...:rolleyes:
Our roomie is clinically phobic and seriously wouldn't be able to even enter the house if he thought there was a chance of a single thing being "on the roam"....
With the amount of T's we have in our collection; calling an exterminator to spray "just in case" is not logical. We'd never feel safe bringing our T's back in the house after that. :embarrassed:

Glad you found her !! :clap:

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Not worrying about an obt sling loose is like not worying about that drunk driver...something might or might not happen. I.... being a responsible tarantula keeper would notify ALL house occupants of ANY excape.
I wonder who would say something if say a deathstalker was loose