She's joyfully biting the daylights out of everyone in heaven, but what happened?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I went down to the T room this morning to top off water dishes only to discover my 3" female S. calceatum dead. What happened? I kept her in one of the large enclosures with a lid and front doors that open outward. She had more than adequate vertical room (and I would assume sufficient ventilation), a branch which she webbed to, moss, a large water dish, and a pothos plant. The substrate was a coconut fiber/peat/potting soil mix. The water dish was always full and I overflowed it and misted occasionally. I inspected her and could find no signs of an abrasion, rupture, or any other injury. When she bit me recently I absolutely did not fling her or do anything that could have caused harm.

Starting about a month ago she began spending all her time in the open on her substrate as opposed to hanging on the walls or in her webbing. I suppose this should have rang bells, but I thought she was simply behaving in typical "who knows why" spider fashion. Last week she ate three crickets. Does anyone have any idea what may have been responsible for her death?

--the nature boy

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The bad thing about t's is that when they die randomly, no one knows the cause of death. We assume in could be something chemical, a harsh fall, or a random death like the avics sometimes do. I am stumped on this one. All I can think of is a chemical or something on the Pothos plant or moss. Maybe some kind of internal parasite from the food..

Kris

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Matt, I'm so sorry!!!! I know how much you cared for her. I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes, Ts, even adults, just die. You took perfect care of her, it was just her time.
I'm so sorry, Sweetie!!!!!!! *big hug*

Scolopendra777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As Mina Says Tarantulas just die iv had quit a few deaths that i cant seam to know figer-out bad luck m8 :(

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Matt, I'm so sorry!!!! I know how much you cared for her. I don't think you did anything wrong. Sometimes, Ts, even adults, just die. You took perfect care of her, it was just her time.
I'm so sorry, Sweetie!!!!!!! *big hug*
Thanks, Mina. If I can afford to (which I probably can't) I'd like to try a communal S. calceatum set up (why just have one pet that can send you to the hospital?). I know they live in very close proximity to one another in trees in the wild. Anyone have S. calceatum slings?

--the nature boy

crpy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks, Mina. If I can afford to (which I probably can't) I'd like to try a communal S. calceatum set up (why just have one pet that can send you to the hospital?). I know they live in very close proximity to one another in trees in the wild. Anyone have S. calceatum slings?

--the nature boy
Sorry NB, I know you love em

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that NB. I had something sort of similar happen with a P. cambridgei. I think mine may have been inadequate ventilation but she'd be kept like that for almost a year so the suddeness was rather odd. She was quite plump and seemed to be ready for a molt.

Ask Mike Troll Dame!

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually was wondering about ventilation. Does anyone have a take on whether a screen/mesh/whatever lid on a reasonably tall, large enclosure is sufficient?

--the nature boy

upwith inverts!

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It's worked for me, the times I've had screen lids available at the right size. Nothing ever seems to mold in a screen lid.

ReMoVeR

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sorry to hear that m8 :\ i hope u keep caring all those Ts u probably have ;)

keep it goin

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ahhhh damnit Matt, sorry man. Your girl is the reason I got mine...... but you knew that already.

I'm not gonna hug ya 'cause I'm not that way, but shoot man, I'm sorry. I know that mine has already become the favorite in my collection... When I eventually breed her, you've got a few slings comin your way. She's got a bit of growin to do yet, but never the less, you'll get some freebies when I finally get around to it.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ahhhh damnit Matt, sorry man. Your girl is the reason I got mine...... but you knew that already.

I'm not gonna hug ya 'cause I'm not that way, but shoot man, I'm sorry. I know that mine has already become the favorite in my collection... When I eventually breed her, you've got a few slings comin your way. She's got a bit of growin to do yet, but never the less, you'll get some freebies when I finally get around to it.
Thanks, man. So your's is your favorite? How did she endear herself to you and how painful was it?

Matt

7mary3

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, she missed me, but barely. I filled her water dish, and she came flying out, fangs bared. This was on day 1. Now whenever I even walk by her enclosure, she comes out of her branch/hide/thingy looking for blood. She's proven to be a voracious eater, but her attitude is worse than any of my other Ts.

My OBT, my Haplopelma, even my mal-adjusted Nhandu........ they don't come close.

She's absolutely insane, and I love her for it.

She's like the crazy old lady you see in the yard screaming at birds for being in the bird bath.... except that the birds aren't real.

She's that kind of unbalanced and angry.

My kind of girl.

Shagrath666

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Im sorry dude, at least she gave you a kiss before she went, i have yet to loose any of my favorite Ts, they are all still with me, or in friends care. I dread the day when it happens, but death is a part of life. I like to believe that without death there would be no life, so get another to honor her memory. I'll give a toast to you and her tonight. I guess its time to bust out the scotch again for her.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im sorry dude, at least she gave you a kiss before she went, i have yet to loose any of my favorite Ts, they are all still with me, or in friends care. I dread the day when it happens, but death is a part of life. I like to believe that without death there would be no life, so get another to honor her memory. I'll give a toast to you and her tonight. I guess its time to bust out the scotch again for her.
Lol. Don't you worry, I haven't learned my lesson yet. I think I'm going to try to keep them communally.

--the nature boy