Sheet moss. does it really help all that much?

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
in many of the tank setup suggestions for variety of arachnids (I keep new world T's and emperor scorpions) i've read. a lot of them suggest placing sheet moss in the tank to help with tank humidity. so far in my experience it just makes the tank harder to keep clean. it gets pushed to close to the water dishes and sucks all the water out of those then attracts micro bugs like fruit flies or mites. I also liked it cause it gave the tanks a little more aesthetic look than plain coco/fiber mixed w/ vermiculite. but I think I just might go get some fake plants to substitute.

I'm just looking to hear other opinions/experiences on the matter.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
I use frog moss in 2 of my tarantula enclosure, a 3 gallon one for my P sp machala and a 5 gallon one for my L Klugi.

I assume you mean frogmoss and not something else. If it's something else, try frogmoss instead.

I've had no real problems keeping them clean. I just use tongs. The only issue I've had is sometimes they think everything is food including the tongs themselves. I sometimes have to nudge then into the hide before maintaining the enclosure.

Of course that's true we when I'm cleaning other areas besides the frogmoss. I lift the waterdish straight out and straight down with spark plug pliers and push the moss back a little bit first.

Here's mine.

L klugi Justina cage view.jpg P machala Persephone cage full.jpg

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
nope that type of moss looks different than what i've been using. i've never seen moss like that available at either the pet store or the hardware store.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I don't bother with moss, waste of space in my opinion, unless the tarantula or other requires more moisture than others, only then would I consider any type of moss (peat or spagnhum).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in many of the tank setup suggestions for variety of arachnids (I keep new world T's and emperor scorpions) i've read. a lot of them suggest placing sheet moss in the tank to help with tank humidity. so far in my experience it just makes the tank harder to keep clean. it gets pushed to close to the water dishes and sucks all the water out of those then attracts micro bugs like fruit flies or mites. I also liked it cause it gave the tanks a little more aesthetic look than plain coco/fiber mixed w/ vermiculite. but I think I just might go get some fake plants to substitute.

I'm just looking to hear other opinions/experiences on the matter.

How a tank looks to you isn't a criteria in designing one when it comes to exotic animals in regards to what to add in, such as plants.

I suggest you look up the species you own and see if moss is actually found where they live. Moss has very unique requirements in order for it to live and thrive.

I've never used moss.

It's like frogs, esp poison dart frogs, many people think moss would be great, the truth many tropical frogs don't live near moss at all.