Shed skin on Leo's toes

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My leopard gecko shed the other day, and apparently the humidity in its hide wasn't as high as I thought, as one or two of its toes have shed skin bits hanging on the ends. By inspection they don't appear to be actually wrapped around the toes, just hanging off the end of the claws.

What's the best way to get rid of these things? Can they be removed by hand or soaking the gecko's feet?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I never had a problem with this. If mine had some left on their toes, they would remove it themselves, or if I had to do it, it would simply take a small misting/soak, and then peel it off with my fingers.

Good luck

~Crystal

Malkavian said:
My leopard gecko shed the other day, and apparently the humidity in its hide wasn't as high as I thought, as one or two of its toes have shed skin bits hanging on the ends. By inspection they don't appear to be actually wrapped around the toes, just hanging off the end of the claws.

What's the best way to get rid of these things? Can they be removed by hand or soaking the gecko's feet?

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since it's a fresh shed, it should be easy to remove by hand. Just use a few drops of water to wet the toes. This will soften the retained shed for easy removal. Then work the skin off gently by rolling the toes in between your fingers. It helps to keep a little cup of water and a towel at hand so you can continue to re-wet the skin in case it dries.

Oasis Inverts

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Soak the animal in warm water, and either softly pull the skin off, or let it work it's self off when it walks around in the tank. (I always pull it off...causes less problems)