she keeps climbing

toenailsoup

Arachnopeon
i just got a Aphonopelma chalcodes the tank i got is taller than it should but i didnt have enough substrate and i dont have money left to buy more, she climbs up high on the tank to get out. my room is around 65° but i put a heater in my room just incase its the cold air and now its at 75° and she still climbs out what could be the problem

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
Climbing by itself isn't a problem. But you dont want to have to worry about a bad fall. Try to find someway to limit falling distance. I think my first t died from a fall cus I didn't know any better. I don't know how high off the substrate she is getting but you don't want her to fall too far

MES

Arachnosquire
i just got a Aphonopelma chalcodes the tank i got is taller than it should but i didnt have enough substrate and i dont have money left to buy more, she climbs up high on the tank to get out. my room is around 65° but i put a heater in my room just incase its the cold air and now its at 75° and she still climbs out what could be the problem
This is normal, even for ground dwelling species. My A. chalcodes in particular doesn't do this, but my other tarantulas do. All I can suggest is adding more subtrate when possible for you.
Good luck!

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
If you can get a pic that would help folks on here help you out

She is probably stressed out looking for a place to hide. If you cant get more dirt right now maybe try to coax her into a hide.

Last edited by a moderator:

toenailsoup

Arachnopeon
She is probably stressed out looking for a place to hide. If you cant get more dirt right now maybe try to coax her into a hide.
i set her in the hide and she crawled right out and went to the same corner ill try to get pics of her doing it

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I've noticed my species that are from drier climates (A. chalcodes, brachis, etc.) will climb when humidity is high. Is the substrate damp or humidity high in your T room?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Can you get a cheap bag of top soil? They are under 5$ at somewhere like Wal Mart or Home Depot. If not, can you borrow a tupperware from the kitchen to keep her in for now? It would be safer to keep her in something tiny than risk a fall, in my opinion.

toenailsoup

Arachnopeon
Can you get a cheap bag of top soil? They are under 5$ at somewhere like Wal Mart or Home Depot. If not, can you borrow a tupperware from the kitchen to keep her in for now? It would be safer to keep her in something tiny than risk a fall, in my opinion.
i put her in the container she came in and its kinda big

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i put her in the container she came in and its kinda big
Kinda big in a bad way, as in it still provides too much height? Or kinda big in a good way, as in she isn't too scrunched in there?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
55555, if only I had dubs, having a humidity meter is sketch for a desert T, put your sub to cook, and add more to keep falls from being dangerous. Im not trying to be a rear end but you definitely should have researched this animal before you got it and do so for any future Ts...I consider most desert Ts pretty simple: dry sub and normal terrestrial care. I think I saw you last post its in a reptile enclosure right? well just take the sub and put it into a rubbermaid or something. you should post the container you moved her into.

toenailsoup

Arachnopeon
55555, if only I had dubs, having a humidity meter is sketch for a desert T, put your sub to cook, and add more to keep falls from being dangerous. Im not trying to be a rear end but you definitely should have researched this animal before you got it and do so for any future Ts...I consider most desert Ts pretty simple: dry sub and normal terrestrial care. I think I saw you last post its in a reptile enclosure right? well just take the sub and put it into a rubbermaid or something. you should post the container you moved her into.
i did i researched 2 incase they didnt have the other one i was going to get a salmon pink bird eater but the store that said they had it didnt so thats why i had it moist so i bought the arizona blonde instead so i microwaved some substrate like someone told me to do on another site so its a dry top layer so i guess its still not enough

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
i did i researched 2 incase they didnt have the other one i was going to get a salmon pink bird eater but the store that said they had it didnt so thats why i had it moist so i bought the arizona blonde instead so i microwaved some substrate like someone told me to do on another site so its a dry top layer so i guess its still not enough
you should really get Ts online instead. and waited will you were prepared to get it, I usually always keep lots of extra supplies around.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
... but i didnt have enough substrate and i dont have money left to buy more
A 40lb bag of topsoil is under $5. You can find that between the cushions of your sofa.

This animal relies on you 100% for it's survival. Find the money.

cold blood

Staff member
s taller than it should but i didnt have enough substrate and i dont have money left to buy more, she
A 40lb bag of top soil costs less than $1.50
the himidity meter i have is at 72 but
72 is pretty high, she probably just wants to get off the substrate till the humidity comes down.
Humidity is NOT relevant...any t can be kept in any humidity....some need dry sub, others need damp sub....the moisture in the air matters only in the frequency at which you would need to dampen sub.

The hygrometer can be returned...or tossed out.

the first one is what i baught her in the second one is what she keeps climbing
That looks just fine for a molt or two.

i bought the arizona blonde instead so i microwaved some substrate like someone told me to do on anoth
Sub should never be sterilized....doing so opens it to population explosions of mold and such as the first things to colonize will have it all to themselves.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
A 40lb bag of top soil costs less than $1.50

Humidity is NOT relevant...any t can be kept in any humidity....some need dry sub, others need damp sub....the moisture in the air matters only in the frequency at which you would need to dampen sub.

The hygrometer can be returned...or tossed out.
maybe OP can return hygrometer and use the money back for top soil.

OP if you cant take care of you T i'll gladly take it free of charge