She is going to love this!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be getting a big female crawshayi on Wed. of this week. I researched as well as I could and tried mimicking their natural habitat. Here it is!

With her lamp on:

With it off:

Closer view of her log she will hopefully burrow under

I put the stump in there b/c in Africa they are known to dig deep burrows amongst the roots of acacia bushes. So this is the closest I could get..

Finished product

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's a hell of a setup. Good job and I bet she'll love it!

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
That looks awesome, man. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Good god!, she is as good as back in Kenya!:D Very nice setup indeed! /Johan

jeff1962

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow ! Thats Zoo quality ! Makes my displays look...... well... sorry ! :( My T.s get a hide, a dish and a log for decoration.

When winter gets here I think I will have to get a little more creative, it will give me something to do ! :D

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
Wow!!! Nice setup :) Can't wait to see where she'll burrow. :)

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOOHOO!! I'm so excited that I'm sending her to that beautiful home!! Hopefully, she'll give you an eggsac. She's a really pretty girl. Great job setting up her new home! I'm always happy to see where spiders I sell/trade are going. :)

Texas Blonde

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love love love seeing people make more natural set ups, and do research into how the species lives in the wild. Did you pack down the substrate, or leave it loose? If you havent packed it down, I suggest doing it, as it makes burrow walls a little more sound. Ive had Aphonopelmas set up so that the could make deep burrows, and Ive found that the burrows are alot less likely to collapse if the substrate is packed down into the cage.

Good luck with the spider, I cant wait to see pics of her in her new home!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you all for the kind comments. I packed the 'strate down after every 5" was put in. so it is WELL packed. :D

I will be breeding this species again in hopes to get some CB's in this hobby! When it comes to breeding a species, I look into their natural habitat as best I can. I write down everything such as what time of year it becomes hotter, rain fall, rainy season (which is a big part of breeing this species), substrate, humidity, etc. Once I receive the female, I will wait about 1-2 weeks before mating her. I'll fatten her up AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE to insure that she will be LESS likely to eat the male hehe. Too bad I do not still have my old female, she was a lover not a fighter, but from what i've heard from Katy, this el diablo has some fight in her. We'll see what happens.

*** If anyone out there has a MM or subadult male of this species, PLEASE contact me. I've never focused and been so prepared to breed this species, than others.

I will keep my thread in the breeding records up to date as well. Keep an eye out!

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
love the tank setup what did you uses dirt/sand mix/ coco/sand mix?
Hehe let me see if I can explain.

There is a place near by that specializes in dirt/rocks. I forget the name. About 70% of it is something called "top soil". It is very rich and moist and contains about 45% sand. Perfect for an African terrestrial species. 30% is peat moss, and about 20% is this special potting soil I purchased from Walmart (its the darker 'strate you see).

SNAFU

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome job on the enclosure Austin! :clap: So is this girl for another Crawshayi breeding project?...

Austin S.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well she settled down quit a bit. She was even nice to her man...

The MM

The big girl

And some good news!

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How big is that girl!? Thats a really cool setup! Did you breed them as soon as you put her in?

arif26

Arachnopeon
wow.. awesome...
really nice setup...it does makes makes my setup looks......
anyway, really nice setup and t :D

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice looking. One of the best setups in a while now.

Although, I'd rather put a brachy there ;)