Sexing my Asian Forest Scorpions

Rdeuvletian

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

I initially bought the scorpion in the photo with the claws spread apart and thought it was a female. I bought the second one in the photo with the claws closer together being told was a male and paired them. They did the mating dance and everything but it’s been 6 months later and nothing happened. The one i think is female even had the sperm package partially inserted in its opening. Although now i’m thinking it might be a male and it was actually depositing it not picking it up.

I’ve tried to pair them multiple times since then but they never “danced” again. The one i think is female wiggles it’s tail but the other scorpion acts passively and doesn’t care. I’m now starting to think i actually have 2 of the same sex and that first mating was just a mistake.

I took some photos hoping someone could shed some light on the issue.

Thanks in advance...

“Male”???:
067564AE-4DC9-4C5F-8440-724C3B619029.jpeg

“Female”???:
30684441-B8B9-4EAC-8AFB-E42A2EE38E46.jpeg

Last edited:

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Pretty sure the one you think is a female is a male and the one you think is a male is a female, though I’m the not the best at sexing so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Rdeuvletian

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies everyone! I’m just surprised that since that initial mating, there hasn’t been anymore breeding. The one that i thought was female is the one i found with the sperm package partially inserted in her opening which then fell out. Is it possible that she is still fertilized? She isn’t fat and there isn’t any signs that she’s gravid so i’m completely lost.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Are you sure? I was under the impression that the length of the pectines determined the sex of the scorpion. Long "teeth on the comb" indicates female, short "teeth" being indicative of male. Disclaimer: I am not a scorpion expert.

Rdeuvletian

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies everyone!

So what could be the reason that they won’t breed anymore? They’re both mature. I’ve decided to leave them in the dame enclosure for a few weeks maybe that does the trick. Any other input would be appreciated.

AnimalNewbie

Arachnobaron
Are you sure? I was under the impression that the length of the pectines determined the sex of the scorpion. Long "teeth on the comb" indicates female, short "teeth" being indicative of male. Disclaimer: I am not a scorpion expert.
In pretty sure it’s the opposite.