Sexing Different Species of Scorpions

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What species is that? The split / fused operculum is the same as in U. mordax, but the pectines look the same.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
what scorp is that? And congrats on reviving this thread haven't seen it in a LONG time.
-Eddy

Xaranx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Babycurus jacksoni and Babycurus gigas

Males and females are easy to tell apart, the male develops an extremely bulbous chela compared to females who do bulk up a bit in the chela but nowhere near as much as the males.

These species has already been covered I'm sure but thought I would throw this picture up here.

harveythefly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
any info on sexing Opisthacanthus madagascariensis? mine are still pretty small but i was wondering if there was any obvious sexual dimorphism

thanks
Harvey

Nich

Curator of glass boxes
Old Timer
Androctonus mauritanicus

Four examles of what I believe are female Androctonus mauritanicus, females lack the notch found on the male pedipalps fixed "finger".

The top and bottom pic on the left are more mature, they do have a small indent on the fixed pedipalp finger, but the notch of the males is much more noticable.

Great thread so far...:clap:

Nungunugu

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
You can also sex the A.mauritanicus by counting the pectine teeth.

male 25-30; female 20-24

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
can anybody tell if this tityus stigmurus is a male or female?

the picture take of the underside is garbage sorry, it wouldnt focus with the glass.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bump.......
In order to help with the multiple "what sex is my emp" threads going around. This thread is listed in the Stickys under the Commonly used thread index. It's a real good place to start.

Envyizm

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's one species I don't believe has been posted yet:

Freshly molted Tityus bastosi male showing signs of the bulbous chela at 5th instar

Tityus bastosi 5th instar female for comparison

Not really sure if sexing by a P.T.C (Pectinal Tooth Count) is a reliable way of sexing for this genus, let alone this species. I took the time to count two recently molted males to get the same number of 16 teeth. I'll chime in some more information as some of my males and females molt again and I get a count.

GiantVinegaroon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is it possible for someone to post pictures showing the differences of the sexes of Ophistothalmus walberghi?

Mathayus

Arachnosquire
Paruroctonus boreus

Males: Thinner, more "athletic" built, slightly longer legs and metasoma, and pectines protrude out past the mesosoma (are wider than the body width) and are visible if viewed from above.

Females: Stockier, larger bodied, and the pectines only protrude half the body width.