1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexing Different Species of Scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Eurypterid, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Eurypterid

Eurypterid Arachnerd Old Timer

Advertisement
    Note from Kugellager: This thread will be strictly moderated and anything not pertaining directly to Sexing a Scorpion will be deleted.
    Thanks,
    John
    Arachnoboards
    ];')

I was just thinking that it might be good to have a thread which addresses the different ways of sexing different groups of scorpions. Since sexing is a commonly raised question here, and since sexual dimorphism varies among different groups of scorpions, both in amount and type, it would be nice to have a single resource to refer people to so that they could easily see (in those species where it is easy to see) the differences. People who have pics of both male and female of genera or species, showing how to tell the difference, could post them, possibly along with a short description of what to look for, and a title listing the species or genus. It might even be nice to make it a sticky, or include it in one of the other stickies on scorp info.

I'll start, with one of the easier groups, Centruroides. Generally, species in this genus show a marked difference between males and females, at least at maturity, with males having a thinner, slighter build, and especially a difference in the last couple of metasomal (tail) segments. In mature males, the metasomal segments are noticeably longer and thinner than in females and juveniles of either sex. Below are pictures of male and female Centruroides gracilis for comparison:

[​IMG]Male
    [​IMG]Female

While the difference isn't always quite so extreme, this is generally the pattern in Centruroides species, and is the easiest way to sex them.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
  2. Nikos

Nikos Arachnoprince Old Timer

euscorpius italicus
    notice the difference in the "venom glad"

female

[​IMG]

male

[​IMG]

3. Eurypterid

Eurypterid Arachnerd Old Timer

Parabuthus

In the genus Parabuthus, the manus of the chela (the "hand" part of the pincer) is sexually dimorphic. In females it is thin, about the same thickness as the rest of the segments in the pedipalp, whereas in males it is bulbous and much thicker than the rest of the pedipalp segments. The pictures below show this difference in Parabuthus transvaalicus:

[​IMG]Female
    [​IMG]Male

Last edited: Aug 27, 2005
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Nazgul

Nazgul Arachnoangel Old Timer

Hi,

Uroplectes planimanus

1.) male

2.) female , showing the enlarged sickle-shaped tooth at the base of the pectines

The pics aren´t very sharp cause I had to take them through the plastic bags I fixed the scorpions in.

Regards
    Alex

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
  5. G. Carnell

G. Carnell Arachnoemperor Old Timer

EU
    Here is the way to sex the genera Pandinus and Heterometrus
    and lots of others..

the specimens in the photo are Heterometrus laoticus
    a male and a female

you sex them by looking at their Pectines, the "feathery" things on the underside of the body. The males have longer "teeth" on the pectines, and their angles are more horizontal.
    also the pectines themselves are thicker (the "wings")

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

these pictures illustrate what you should see in either Male or Female Pandinus or Heterometrus species.

EDIT: also, the male is supposed to have more teeth!

EDIT 2: see the shape of the Genital operculum, the males points towards the front of the scorpion, and the females points towards the rear
    (only works in Heterometrus, and differs in different species)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  6. Nikos

Nikos Arachnoprince Old Timer

Lychas mucronatus

Lychas mucronatus males have a "curved" palp while females don't.

[​IMG]

7. Nazgul

Hi,

chelae of male and female Hottentotta j. jayakari. It´s the same in the other ssp, H. jayakari salei.

Regards
    Alex

Last edited: Feb 20, 2006
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. G. Carnell

EU
    Here is a pic of a Liocheles waigiensis male, from Australia
    the males have a Notch on the claw, though the position and size of the notch can vary, they always have one (i believe)
    (im not sure if this applies to other Liocheles species!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  9. G. Carnell

EU
    Hi
    here is the sexual dimorphism within Tityus paraensis
    the male is a wild caught adult
    and the female is a captive bred adult

As shown, the male has VERY elongated claws, whereas the female has relatively normal sized claws
    (subadult males also have the elongated claws)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2006
  10. G. Carnell

EU
    Here is the sexual dimorphism of Babycurus jacksoni
    the female has small claws, whereas the male has very bulbous claws
    (he is lighter as he moulted 1 week previous to the picture)

http://www.scorpion-realm.co.uk/photos/babydimorph.jpg

EDIT: cant be bothered to resize it at the moment so ill leave it as a link :)

11. Prymal

Prymal Arachnoking Old Timer

Anuroctonus spp.

Males have the following modification to the telson:

The telson is composed of a primary bulb, a distinct constriction and then a smaller secondary bulb and the aculeus. Females lack this modification to the telson.

Cheloctonus jonesii:

Males possess a large, well defined chelal tooth on the moveable fingers of the chelae and larger, more bulbous telsons than females.

Diplocentrus spp. (U.S.A.):

Males possess large, robust, powerfully-built chelae with well defined and distinct, dark-colored chelal keels and are smaller and less robust than females.
    In some small adult males of both, D. peloncillensis and D. spitzeri, the chelae appear grossly disproportionate to the overall size of the scorpion.

Luc

12. I've got a lot of males and females here!!!

if any one owns them, could he/she get some alive n' kickin' pics???

Photogallery of species described by Kovařík in 2003 and 2004

some of the specimens might be dead for a long time, thus giving false coloration

(ex. 2 days dead isometrus maculatus will be REDDISH in color)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2006
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. G. Carnell

EU
    Bump

just bumping so that hopefully we can have some new species pics added!!!!

14. Very good info thread. Thanks!

15. ScorpDude

ScorpDude Arachnoangel Old Timer

Anybody know the differences to look for scorpio maurus? (palmatus if that helps)

16. time to raise this from the grave.

just want to add my 1st and favorite scorp

Isometrus maculatus
    CB from Philippines

adult male
    [​IMG]
    adult female
    [​IMG]

17. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

Rhopalurus junceus males are thinner than females with more bulbous chela. When adult the males chela looks like this. It will not close all the way since it is slightly curved. It is most likely built this way in order to court the females
    [​IMG]

Females like most species are much more robust than males. Although they have somewhat bulbous chela, it is not as pronounced as the males and they can close the claws all the way.
    [​IMG]

18. ACC

ACC Arachnopeon

Anybody know the differences to look for dune scorpion? thanks :D

19. Ryan C.

Ryan C. Arachnoprince

I'm pretty sure I read that Smeringurus mesaensis males have a more elongated 5th metasomal segment, I'm not positive though.

20. Nazgul

Me too :D

1.) male

2.) female

Attached Files: