1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sexing an Asian Forrest Scorpion

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by SpaceM, Oct 22, 2018.

1. SpaceM

SpaceM Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Was wondering if anyone is able help sex my AFS from the pictures below. I've looked at a few images online but still can't decide what it is.

44521369_2176797682573120_545770603928354816_n.jpg 44518876_351152785459801_6539519945078734848_n.jpg

2. theDHill

theDHill Arachnopeon

I'm not an expert, but it looks like a female to me. Gills appear almost horizontal instead of V shaped, they do not extend beyond the side of the scorpion, the gap between them looks kind of wide-ish, and not to mention it is either obese or it look gravid!!

Do you know which species of Heterometrus? If so, you can do a count of the gills in some cases, males and females will be different.

If you're interested, here is a good link for figuring out which Heterometrus species you have...

http://www.science.marshall.edu/fet/euscorpius/p2004_15.pdf

*Starting on pg 51 there is an identification key, which helped me definitively deduce mine as H. spinifer

Good luck!!!;)

Also, here is a picture of my 100% female H. spinifer to compare with...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. beetleman

beetleman Arachnoking Old Timer

female

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SpaceM

SpaceM Arachnopeon

Thanks for the replies. Took it into a pet shop today, we decided it was a female and I part-exed it for a P.metalica. A little sad to say to see it go but I never saw it anyway and have been wanting a Metallica for a while.

5. The Snark

The Snark هرج و مرج مهندس Old Timer

I'm developing a loathing for the term Asian Forest Scorpion. A catch bucket name similar to Pine Tree or Eucalyptus. The bullfeathers naming like 'Laoticus - native to Vietnam' or 'Spinifer - Malaysian Black...'isn't helping and the boundary jumping just makes it worse.

6. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera Arachnopeon

Fl
    Definitely a female!