sex

Whitdadie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am guessing the best way to sex a scorp is by its molt correct? Spike just molted not to long ago so i took a look at the bottom of it just out of ceriousity and the pectines apear to be rather long. I have never sexed a scorp, but isnt this a good sign that spike is a girl? Allso, does anyone know the dificulty of breading a. australis'? I dont have the room or money to brea right now but was just wondering for futurre reference. thanks!

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Sexing scorpions doesn't rely on a moult. The first thing I do is take a general look at the specimen. Some may be obviously sexualy dimorphic (H.troglodytes, for example, have very different metasomal lengths). Also, females will tend to be fatter and bulkier in many species, though this alone can steer you wrong.

Next, I try to get them into a clear-bottomed container. If it is in a shop and they are in deli cups, I will move away a bit of substrate and then coax them onto that spot. You can then see thier undersides and check out the pectines. Longer tends to mean male.

You can see more on this here.

Cheers,
Dave