Sex My Spider!

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
With a moult, you are looking at the area between the two top booklungs. If there is a flap, or in some species little horn-shaped bits, you have a girl. If there is nothing there you have a boy.

This is a female, to give you an idea:

In a male, that flap bit in the middle wouldn't be there and the area would be totally smooth.

With ventral sexing it's a bit trickier, it really all comes down to practise (or getting a good clear photo for us to look at).

You're looking at the same area, between the top booklungs, just on the outside not the inside. There are several things that give you clues as to sex. Sometimes they are really clear and obvious, sometimes they're not.

This is a male. That pale bald spot in the middle is a dead giveaway that it's a boy. Other clues are that the line below it is quite straight and the gap between the booklungs is narrow. But those are really things you need practise to get the hang of judging. But the spot is a definite sign.

This is a female. Very fuzzy sorry! But you can immediately see there's no bald spot, and instead there is a kind of wide 'smile' shape under the line. Those are female signs. Also the booklungs are spaced wider apart.

Both those photos are of Brachypelma. Different species look different but similar at the same time. This is a female G. rosea. The 'smile' not so evident but that little wavey bit on the top line (hard to describe) is the girly sign.

And this is a G. pulchra. Again, not a great pic, but you can see how it has the same wavey bit

Also if you ever get a good look at the area from the side, the area between the top booklungs does not line up with the area below it. On males they do. Hard to explain again. I keep meaning to do a diagram of it.

Anyway I hope this made sense and tells you a bit what you're looking for! Also try the 'sexing for dummies' thread.

Unfortunately there is no really easy way to learn sexing Ts it's all down to experience. But if you can get a good clear shot of the area I'm sure some people here can give you a good indication of if it's male or female. Your ventral photos aren't close enough, and rosies are tricky anyway because their undersides are so dark. If you have a macro setting on your camera (a button with a little flower next to it) use that, and get real close, and try and get some good light on it. It's a pain in the butt I know, lol. Seeing a flap in the moult would be a lot easier, if the moult hasn't falled apart yet.

I'm gonna stop typing now cos I have rambled on!