Sex my Aphonopelma sp please!

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Given the hot debate at the time of original posting I figured it would be relevant to post my most recent pic of Geist, the first purchased A sp. Guatemala of the two that came up in this thread...

I think the image speaks for itself :D

Edit: Just to be clear! I had my threads mixed up when I first posted... this is the thread for Rauch, my second Guatemala (who has not yet shed in my care), the molt pictured here is of Geist (the first one originally discussed here: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=166781 )

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Without reading any posts other than the OP's, that's a male.

To be clear, I'm referring to the very first ventral shot, not the shot of the molt.

I also just noticed that this thread was from ~6 months ago. :}

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Without reading any posts other than the OP's, that's a male.

To be clear, I'm referring to the very first ventral shot, not the shot of the molt.

I also just noticed that this thread was from ~6 months ago. :}
That is my guess as well given the ventral differences. Sadly I suspect this one is too close in size to the confirmed female to make them a good match at the size they are (she's about 3.5 inches, "he" is probably closer to 3).

I resurrected the two threads because I thought it worth having such a clear comparison. I only wish I could figure out the sex of more of my Ts within the first 6 months!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If I had seen this thread when you first posted it, I'd have said the same thing.

If you slow down the feeding schedule of the male and feed the tar out of the female, you can still probably get them to mature around the same time. She'll be ready by her next molt, and maybe he'll take two to hook out.

Although...I just had a P. miranda male mature and he's ~4"...so you never know.