1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex Id of dwarf Tarantulas

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by charm271, May 6, 2012.

1. charm271

charm271 Arachnosquire

Advertisement
    I have H. incei and C. ritae tarantulas in my collection I do not know how to id there sexes. For the H. incei, I have read that there is a size difference as well as a difference in leg color but I have not come across any pictures showing the difference. As for the Cyriocosmus species, the only information I have come across said the sex can not be determined until they have a mature molt. I assume one would look for male hooks or something similar but I have not come across that info.

2. Hobo

Hobo ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Staff Member

You can sex them just like any other, larger tarantula.
    The only difference being, of course, that things will be a lot smaller and nearly impossible to see without some kind of magnification.

3. bchbum11

bchbum11 Arachnosquire

Both of those species mature relatively rapidly also. I've had a male of each hook out, and neither took more than 10 months to do it (both bought as what was likely 3rd-4th instar, kept at room temp, and fed on average of once every 5 days). The hooks on both are pretty obvious, so there isn't much chance of missing them.