Severely injured A. Seemanni

17sms

Arachnopeon
I need some advice to help my A. Seemanni mature female. She escaped her cage a week ago, I found her today missing two limbs and bleeding from two other limbs. She proceeded to rip one off, which I stopped the bleeding once again. I have her in an ICU, deli cup with wet paper towels, is there anything I can do for her? One limb I stopped the bleeding on the joint closest to her body so she is no longer able to move it. I’m very concerned and just want to do what’s best for her. Any advice?

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Pics please.

Is the abdomen injured?

Also, ICU is probably not needed but I'll defer to some of the old timers on that one. I have a stirmi that recently lost a leg, but it managed to stop the "bleeding" on it's own.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
I need some advice to help my A. Seemanni mature female. She escaped her cage a week ago, I found her today missing two limbs and bleeding from two other limbs. She proceeded to rip one off, which I stopped the bleeding once again. I have her in an ICU, deli cup with wet paper towels, is there anything I can do for her? One limb I stopped the bleeding on the joint closest to her body so she is no longer able to move it. I’m very concerned and just want to do what’s best for her. Any advice?
You stopped the bleeding? With what? Legs bleeding are usually of no consequence. The leg will usually either stop bleeding on it's own, or the T will take off the leg. As long as she isn't bleeding anywhere else, she should be fine

17sms

Arachnopeon
Well, that proves my ignorance there. I put a few drops of super glue because I was so worried as she’s already lost three limbs and looks like she could possibly lose another one. Her abdomen and everywhere else appears to be fine, no sign of injury. She is very lethargic. I’m feeling a bit guilty after my abundant use of super glue on one leg which she is now unable to move.

Attachments

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Well, that proves my ignorance there. I put a few drops of super glue because I was so worried as she’s already lost three limbs and looks like she could possibly lose another one. Her abdomen and everywhere else appears to be fine, no sign of injury. She is very lethargic. I’m feeling a bit guilty after my abundant use of super glue on one leg which she is now unable to move.
For future reference, leg injuries don't need to be messed with. Tarantulas have "valves" of sorts at the base of each leg to cut off blood flow and prevent bleeding out. Abdomen injuries are a much greater cause for concern.

I have heard of people successfully using superglue, liquid bandage, and even nail polish to stop T bleeding, but I think it would be preferable to use flour or corn starch instead. It clots the blood (the proper term is hemolymph if you're curious), but shouldn't cause any complications with future molts, and is less permanent (we had someone on here a few months back accidentally glue their tarantula's anus shut trying to stop a bleeding spinneret, so I would always opt for the less permanent option).

If she's able to, she may try to drop the leg you glued, and that'll be fine. She should be fine to go back into her regular enclosure with just a little more supervision

Last edited:

17sms

Arachnopeon
For future reference, leg injuries don't need to be messed with. Tarantulas have "valves" of sorts at the base of eat leg to cut off blood flow and prevent bleeding out. Abdomen injuries are a much greater cause for concern.

I have heard of people successfully using superglue, liquid bandage, and even nail polish to stop T bleeding, but I think it would be preferable to use flour or corn starch instead. It clots the blood (the proper term in hemolymph if you're curious), but shouldn't cause any complications with future molts, and is less permanent (we had someone on here a few months back accidentally glue their tarantula's anus shut trying to stop a bleeding spinneret, so I would always opt for the less permanent option).

If she's able to, she may try to drop the leg you glued, and that'll be fine. She should be fine to go back into her regular enclosure with just a little more supervision
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely opt for flour or corn starch in the future! I really appreciate the info, I feel much more educated. This is my first time dealing with this, so I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to tarantula injuries. Again, thank you.

Not that it matters, but how did she escape?
Her enclosure lid wasn’t properly put on, dumb mistake.:banghead: Had an incident with the dog which caused her initial enclosure to shatter, such a pain!

Last edited by a moderator:

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely opt for flour or corn starch in the future! I really appreciate the info, I feel much more educated. This is my first time dealing with this, so I’m pretty ignorant when it comes to tarantula injuries. Again, thank you.
No problem. Good luck with everything. Just keep an eye on her for any indication of internal damage (lethargy, loss of coordination, otherwise odd behavior), but she should hopefully be just fine and recover those legs with her next few molts