Several questions

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
Hello fellow Arachnoboards members and thank you in advance for reading.

I have a few questions on my mind today I was hoping y'all could perhaps answer...

I currently have two T's - one sexed female A. chalcodes with about a 4'' legspan and one unsexed B. albopilosum with about a 3'' legspan. Both are in a Exo Terra PT2300 Faunarium, with Zoo Med Coco Fiber substrate. Each has an Exoterra Water dish - the A. chalcodes has the medium size version (PT2802) and the B. albopilosum has the "small" version (PT2801). For hides, the A. Chalcodes has a piece of cork bark, and the B. albopilosum has a small sized Zoo Med Habba Hut. Currently, they are both being fed gutloaded crickets.

1) Water Dish

There is coco fiber that accumulates in their water dishes, not a lot, but some. How often should I completely change/clean out the water dish?

Also, under the medium sized water dish, there is relatively constant moisture as I occasionally slightly overfill the water dish which the A. chalcodes seems to enjoy - but the enclosure in general is relatively dry. The moisture I mention is not completely soaking the substrate beneath – just a thin layer directly under the dish). How worried do I need to be about mold or other unwanted issues occurring? Due to the size of the dish, it is not easy to constantly remove from her enclosure, and I prefer not to disturb her unless necessary.

(I know I could use deli cups and such for water dishes, but if possible, I really prefer to have something that looks somewhat natural and nice - hence my current choice)...
Perhaps I should switch out the medium size water dish to a small one, like in the B. albopilosum's current enclosure?...

2) Silkworms

I am lucky enough to live just 1.5 miles away from a locally owned and operated local exotic pet store that is just awesome. They sell crickets individually as well as hornworms and silkworms. They sell roaches too (by the cup), but not individually - YET, but are planning on it soon. I was thinking of giving silkworms a try on the next feeding of my A. chalcodes this weekend.

Anyone have any thoughts/experiences on the subject?

3) Plant pots as a hide

I have simple and relatively standard, but nice pot that accompanied an orchid that I purchased from a local supermarket. It measures approx. 4'' tall with a 3.5'' top diameter and a single drainage hole at the bottom at center. It appears to be made of terracotta with matte finish brown paint.

Would this make a nice hide for a future terrestrial T (of appropriate size of course)?

If so, can I leave the pot whole and simply bury it part way in the substrate, or do I need to break it in half lengthwise?

If I need to break it, any recommendations on how to do so?

Thanks again!

Theneil

Arachnoprince
1. IMO a little substrate settled at the bottom isn't a big deal but if it starts to acumulate or the water begins to be discolored or unclear i will completely replace it. a little bit of mold isn't a big deal and can be simply scooped out and thrown away. Aditionally, if instead of overflowing the dish you just pick a random spot to dampen for a week or two and then pick a different spot etc it will help prevent mold. i will also say that i have used a couple naturalistic water dishes and while i agree they look WAY nicer, when they get dirty or webbed on the water begins to wick out stupidly fadt and they are hard to clean without completely removing and scrubbing with a brush. A smooth dish can simply have the rim wiped to stop the water wicking out.

2. No experience with silkworms. What kind of roaches and how many roaches come in a cup? If it is only say 10 in a cup they would probably last long enough to use all of them. In my experience Terestrials will eat almost anything without a second thought. i prefer lateralis (red runners) over dubai

3. It should work just buried for a terrestrial i think. (Never tried it) i would probbably burry it until it is just a little too small for the T and let them escavate it to their liking.

Campi95

Arachnosquire
I am yet to come across a T that keeps its water dish clean. I usually just eyeball it. If I can’t see the water it’s an immediate refresh, or if it’s been too dirty for several days.

Also, I’ve never had overflown water dishes cause mold, and like you I make a habit of overfilling then every time. You should be okay.

And yes on the pot. If you bury it half in they’ll use it. That would be my first try. IF that doesn’t work you’ll need to break it and uh, there’s no good way to do it. I’d smash it with a hammer and hope for the best? You can always hot glue some pieces together and give it that ruin look.

Yanose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
as for the water dish i would say when you see some color to the water change it. also if you do have to break the pot for some reason score it with a file or something first maybe you could even use a hacksaw

cold blood

Staff member
Break the pot before using it...a hide should never be a dead end. Think of a hide as a starting point for a burrow, not a long term home.

Any feeder you get it to eat from the store is just fine. Don't over-think feeding day.

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
Thank you for the replies everyone. Theneil, in answer to your question - I believe they said there were around 70 (Dubia) roaches per cup. Whatever it is, it was a whole lot more than I could currently use.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Hello fellow Arachnoboards members and thank you in advance for reading.

3) Plant pots as a hide

I have simple and relatively standard, but nice pot that accompanied an orchid that I purchased from a local supermarket. It measures approx. 4'' tall with a 3.5'' top diameter and a single drainage hole at the bottom at center. It appears to be made of terracotta with matte finish brown paint.

Would this make a nice hide for a future terrestrial T (of appropriate size of course)?

If so, can I leave the pot whole and simply bury it part way in the substrate, or do I need to break it in half lengthwise?

If I need to break it, any recommendations on how to do so?

Thanks again!
Here's a quote from my favourite general caresheet:

"We use pieces of cork bark for hiding places. You can then add some decoration at will. Be careful with rocks, especially big ones as it is possible a tarantula might completely dig under a big rock and that the tunnel subsequently collapses and kills the tarantula. Terra-cotta pots should be used with caution as well, as the same thing can happen as with the rocks. There is also a hole at the bottom of the pot that the spider might try to crawl through it, get stuck and die (personal experience… again)."
Source: https://www.tarantulacanada.ca/info_en.php?page=care

Mirandarachnid

Arachnobaron
Here's a quote from my favourite general caresheet:

"We use pieces of cork bark for hiding places. You can then add some decoration at will. Be careful with rocks, especially big ones as it is possible a tarantula might completely dig under a big rock and that the tunnel subsequently collapses and kills the tarantula. Terra-cotta pots should be used with caution as well, as the same thing can happen as with the rocks. There is also a hole at the bottom of the pot that the spider might try to crawl through it, get stuck and die (personal experience… again)."
Source: https://www.tarantulacanada.ca/info_en.php?page=care
That's one of the reasons to break the pot. As long as you break it in half, sand down the sharp edges, and have the pot resting on the bottom of the container before you add the substrate it's totally safe.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Thank you for the replies everyone. Theneil, in answer to your question - I believe they said there were around 70 (Dubia) roaches per cup. Whatever it is, it was a whole lot more than I could currently use.
Dubia last long if you give them their own (basic) setup. Just a plastic box with lid and some holes in the walls and lid, some eggcrate for hiding, piece of fruit for hydration and some solid catfood for food and you're good to go. Much cheaper than buying separate feeders :)

StampFan

Arachnodemon
The other thing I'll add to this discussion is that a clay pot *can* grow mold on it in a humid environment. More of a caution than anything.

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
How often should I be feeding my Ts? I have been once a week...should I be doing every other week instead?

Campi95

Arachnosquire
How often should I be feeding my Ts? I have been once a week...should I be doing every other week instead?
Depends on the size of the feed. I like more constant feeds with smaller crickets. Gives me more interactions with my pets.

BladeGypsy

Arachnoknight
Last week she (A. chalcodes) ate a large silk worm for the first time. She loved it, so I was glad I gave it a try to vary her diet. Before that she has been eating about two full size crickets a week.
The B. albopilosum I have had a shorter time, so this weeked on Saturday would be his first weekly feeding on a schedule.