Seven Legs

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's my G. rosea shortly after her molt...

I don't know if the substrate I was using (repti-bark) didn't hold enough moisture or what, but something went wrong. However, she is now doing just fine and hopefully the leg will regenerate over the next few molts.

BTW, the place where the leg is missing is now dark...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That substrate is NOT for spiders :embarrassed: once the spider hardens up change it to peatmoss....rosies like there enclosures BONE dry...there needs are simple....dry peatmoss substrate, a water dish a and hide.....room temps are generally fine as well...the leg will regenerate in a molt or two...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
That substrate is NOT for spiders :embarrassed: once the spider hardens up change it to peatmoss....rosies like there enclosures BONE dry...there needs are simple....dry peatmoss substrate, a water dish a and hide.....room temps are generally fine as well...the leg will regenerate in a molt or two...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:
Trust me, I know that now ;)

When I first got my T I was looking at the local petstore for a good substrate and "Repti-Bark" said that it was suitable for tarantulas. I took their word for it. About a week after her molt I switched her to 50/50 peat moss/vermaculite and she's been doing fine ever since. She climbed the walls for a few hours after the new substrate was introduced, but has now spun a circular web in a corner of the tank and has resumed her pet rock habits...

She did eat a live pinkie mouse the other day...

manville

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont think my rosea has ever accepted a pinkie before. I am not sure if i have ever tried though..very nice G rosea..

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
manville said:
I dont think my rosea has ever accepted a pinkie before. I am not sure if i have ever tried though..very nice G rosea..
I wasn't sure if mine would eat it, but I figured I would go ahead and try. She didn't pounce on it, but when I took a paintbrush and nudged the pinkie closer to her (where it touched the webbing she'd laid down on the substrate). She finally took it, and it took her at least 9 hours to finish eating it. The next day I couldn't find a trace of the pinkie. My G. rosea is probably about 5-6 inches now. She grew quite a bit after her last molt.