Setups for web spinning spiders?

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hey guys, every now and then I'll find a cool spider that spins webs to catch prey like black widows and what not. I used to like keeping them and I don't have a problem with them spinning webs or anything, but... They spin A LOT OF WEBS! I haven't found a good setup where I can easily access them without having to destroy their webs. I hate opening the lid to clean out the dead insects and end up ripping their home that they put blood, sweat and tears into. No matter how long of an enclosure I used they always web their way from top to bottom.

It's also annoying when they web only the top and the only thing I have to feed them is roaches or crickets. Does anybody have a efficient and athletics enclosure for web spinners out there? I tried the lid-less upside down container where you just set a container upside down on a flat surface. Easy to clean, easy to access, but it was pretty drab and easy to knock over.

i3scorpion

Arachnopeon
For web spinning spiders like golden orb weavers or black widows, you can try a large critter keeper or a 5 gallon tank and put a row of three or four sticks triangle formation so they can use the sticks to hold the web instead of the cage itself and make sure you use at least one tall stick that has a 90 degree angle or tape or glue two of them into a 90 degree angle so the spider can us it to hold up the web instead of using the lid.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
You can keep Theridiids (cobweb spiders like widows) in jars. They don't require a lot of space. I wouldn't recommend a widow if it's your first true spider tho. Start with a Steatoda sp. - false black widows.

Orbweavers are trickier, depends the spider. Whatever you use they need at least a two foot diameter amount of space. Larger species much more. Some people keep them around plants in their living room. As long as they have food, they have no reason to leave the web, unless it's a male :)

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Eh, I dislike critter keepers especially for anything that webs. They always end up in the corner of the lid no matter how much decor I give it to build a web in.
I've kept black widows before, the thing is they build their webs with a bungee system so their webs must touch the ground and its annoying when I have to open the lid because it'll rip the whole nest. I was hoping for some pictures from someone.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Eh, I dislike critter keepers especially for anything that webs. They always end up in the corner of the lid no matter how much decor I give it to build a web in.
I've kept black widows before, the thing is they build their webs with a bungee system so their webs must touch the ground and its annoying when I have to open the lid because it'll rip the whole nest. I was hoping for some pictures from someone.
I use jars all the time for all different types and sizes. If they lack setules on their feet, you just have to make sure your sticks don't go to high and they are not going anywhere.

I use a circle of sticks in substrate. Theridiids pull the sticks together away from the jar edge so it works perfect. I have like 30 jars with spiders. Very few have lids. A key thing not to forget is breaking any drag lines the spider might leave to climb out with at a later time; spending hours pawing at the edge of the glass till they find it. I press my finger around the inside edge in a full circle, does the trick every time.

Steatoda grossa
tar3.jpg

tar2.jpg

Callobius severus
tar.jpg

Tegenaria agrestis spiderlings. Mom lived there since a sling tho and made the web. I keep a lid on this one because they can balloon out.
tar4.0.jpg

Last edited:

Eclipse

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This did the friggin trick. God, I feel so dumb! I don't know why I haven't thought of this. Cool lookin spiders btw, have anymore pics? :p

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Great question! I'm always experimenting with the best set-ups. I like the idea of a perimeter of sticks and those are nice pics ciphor. The best results I've gotten are placing enough sticks in each direction for the spider to web on. Having some arching branches are also helpful. I try to also place some solid objects (sticks, debris) in the substrate.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Just got in a Southern Widow courtesy of Catfishrod. Threw her in a jar, then took some pictures. Wanted to show that jars are safe even with widows.

Latrodectus mactans
bw1.jpg bw2.jpg bw3.jpg

Last edited:

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thats a nice home you set her up in. Looks great. They dont waste any time setting up new webs huh.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Thats a nice home you set her up in. Looks great. They dont waste any time setting up new webs huh.
Nope! I'm guilty of helping her out tho :) Poked her buttox a few times with a Lego antenna to get some strands and drag them around the sticks. She found the hide last night and now only hangs out right outside the granite. I don't know why I keep giving my spiders hides when I want to take photos, guess I just got a soft spot for their privacy lol.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Haha well atleast you want her to be at home. I give my widows plastic potho vine, and it works as a photo blocker too. Sometimes i catch them in the right spot, open the lid, and theyre gone.
Nope! I'm guilty of helping her out tho :) Poked her buttox a few times with a Lego antenna to get some strands and drag them around the sticks. She found the hide last night and now only hangs out right outside the granite. I don't know why I keep giving my spiders hides when I want to take photos, guess I just got a soft spot for their privacy lol.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I cant remember if this one popped out a sac or not. Im pretty sure it did. She is plump, so keep your thumbs crossed. If not, im sure in a month or so i will have more. All the sacs you want.
She still shows a faint red stripe on her abdomen too. Really happy with her. Kinda hope she is gravid :)

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Let's see the stripe! I have a mactans with a red stripe from the bottom of her spinnerets...thought she was a variolus at first.

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Let's see the stripe! I have a mactans with a red stripe from the bottom of her spinnerets...thought she was a variolus at first.
I can see it with the naked eye but my camera doesn't quite pick it up as it is faint. I've been playing around with lighting trying to catch it on camera, no luck yet but ill try and remember when I do get it, to post it here for ya. You can post yours tho, is it an adult with a full strip? Or still immature?

Oreo

Arachnocookie
Yep, it's an adult. The red stripe isn't completely solid, but she might fool a male redback :p

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Is this one that came from me? Beautiful girl there. I want to find colorful ones so bad.
Yep, it's an adult. The red stripe isn't completely solid, but she might fool a male redback :p