Setting up OBT enclosure

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
Setting up enclosures for my OBT slings. In their current enclosures they just burrowed and webbed the floor of the enclosure. I'm not sure if I should give them a standard terrestrial setup or a more semi-arboreal setup. I'm considering giving them enclosures similar to my GBB sling's enclosure. Instead of doing just a cork hide I gave him a vertical bark and plenty of anchor points because I heard that they prefer to make their own hide. Here's a picture: 20180204_115806.jpg Should I do a setup like this or just give them regular cork hides and a few sticks? P.S. they'll be roughly 2 inches DLS when they get rehoused.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
How large are those air holes in proportion to the carapace of the Spider(s) ? If their carapace can fit through then the whole body can.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I'm not sure if I should give them a standard terrestrial setup or a more semi-arboreal setup.
I tell you: both are wrong and a misconception due to Pterinochilus murinus impressive ability to adapt (and hardiness as well) to different kind of set ups, but I will never cease to say that, if given the opportunity, they will burrow... because to do that is their first preferred choice.

With that said, do what you want, of course, because a normal terrestrial set up or even a 'GBB semi-arboreal' :banghead: one, wouldn't bother at all those.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
How large are those air holes in proportion to the carapace of the Spider(s) ? If their carapace can fit through then the whole body can.
Their smaller than they look, this picture is really close up. They're 1/4 inch in diameter.

edit: they're actually closer to 1/8 and the ones I've been making recently are smaller because I've been using my old soldering iron burn the holes.

Last edited:

Walker253

Arachnobaron
You give your OBT a semi arboreal set up, you are likely to have a flighty and defensive OBT. Give that little one room to burrow and let it live its life comfortably. It will be happier.

Spiderguy47

Arachnoknight
I've noticed that even though they made burrows they spent a lot of time on the surface. What about a semi-fossorial setup? Plenty of substrate to burrow but also plenty of anchor points on the surface.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Obt have to be one of, if not THE MOST bullet proof ts you can take in.

Next to impossible to kill, and theyre very resourceful.

You could put them in a tank full of barbed wire and land mines, and they will make homes. Theres really no wrong way to set them up

I dont recommend land mines OR barbed wire