1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Set up help for Avicularia?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by noelle, Nov 14, 2017 at 7:58 PM.

1. noelle

noelle Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Front and top view of my set up for my Avicularia avicularia. She's in an exo terra mini "tall" so it's 12x12x18.

Any comments, questions, concerns are appreciated!

Also side question, how long before she might start webbing? I just put her in a couple of days ago. Her little plastic critter keeper at the exotic shop was absolutely covered in super thick web, so I'm hoping she will build a nice hammock or something soon.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. N1ghtFire

N1ghtFire Arachnoknight

It would be best if you replace the screen top with acrylic, tarantulas can get their claws stuck in the screen. Look's like a nice setup! My versicolors usually start webbing within a few days of being rehomed, but one of them is stubborn and takes two weeks to settle in and web everytime I rehouse him.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  3. WolfSoon

WolfSoon Arachnopeon Active Member

I would add a water dish if there’s not one already. That enclosure looks pretty big for that sized T from the photos, but I’m a newbie too so I’ll let someone more experienced chime in on that and other concerns. :cat:

I believe it just depends on the individual spider how quickly they start settling in and webbing.

Hope you enjoy your Avic!

4. WolfSoon

I got this thread a bit mixed up with another one and thought you’d said this was your first tarantula. If you’re not new to the hobby hopefully I didn’t offend by assuming so. :D

5. noelle

noelle Arachnopeon

The overflowing moss on the bottom is actually a big ball of it that's sitting in her water dish and soaking up the moisture.

I agree the set up is a bit big but I have read that they're one of the faster growing species and from what I can tell she is actually about to molt.... plus I wanted the double door in case she decides to web up front, I didnt want to risk damage her web every time I have to open it up.

6. noelle

noelle Arachnopeon

Nope, it is my first! That's why I'm asking the questions lol I want to be sure I do right by her.

• Like Like x 1
  7. noelle

noelle Arachnopeon

Thanks! Any tips on how to go about replacing it? And I will keep an eye out for webbing :D

8. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Leave the lid. No need to touch it. Ventilation would be a pain without the screen.

Let it dry out. Leave a water dish in for the only humidity and drinking source.

Ditch the moss. Or leave it in to dry.

No way to tell that. Could be weeks, could be months.

9. WolfSoon

She should grow into it just fine. If it seems like she’s having trouble finding prey then you could consider rehousing into a smaller enclosure. I agree the front-opening cage is nice. I don’t actually have one but wish I did. Lol.

10. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

I would remove the moss completely. A clean floor is advantageous for your tarantula, as floor clutter will only serve as a place for feeders to hide. An avic will generally only come to the floor briefly to drink or hunt.

Also its best to keep things on the drier side, excess moisture isn't good for them at all. Keep the sub predominantly dry.

Not a faster growing species.
    May still happen, you can't worry bout that...they have an endless supply of webbing and nothing to do with their time. They will either repair it or eventually move if given a better place..