Semi-arboreal set up?

Tom Servo

Arachnopeon
So dispite telling myself I only want one T I've been feeling enomored with Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens... which is described as "semi-arboreal". I've searched a bit about semi-arboreal setup and have found nothing. I assume you just set it up with space to climb as well as space to crawl and, in the case of this species(which likes to web) give them plenty of anchor points?

Also I got an exoterra tank for my Aphonopelma chalcodes but I'm leaning towards a Jamie's enclosure if I buy one this time, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
They're terrestrial. Never heard of anyone keeping them anyway else.

Exo tera aren't ideal for terrestrials without significant modification.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
The term "semi-arboreal" might be a bit misleading. They are a terrestrial species that manages to climb a bit better than most terrestrials, but that doesn´t mean they should have a setup fundamentally different from other terrestrials. I just give mine a bunch of anchor points for its webbing and a bit more space than the usual 1.5 x times the legspan in height.

Also, you won´t regret getting a GBB :) They´re definitely my favourite NW species, they are gorgeous, always out and about and they eat for fun :)

Enjoy!

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
despite telling myself I only want one T...
Famous last words! When I got my first T, it never even occurred to me that anyone would need more than one big, hairy spider! Now, of course, I realize that it's like saying "I'm only going to have one potato chip." Unless the bag is empty, you are totally going to reach in for another chip... and another...

Welcome to the dark side! Tarantula keeping is a surprisingly addicting hobby once you get started.

GBB's are great spiders. I'm on my third right now. The first two both hooked out as mature males and were traded for other spiders. My current (large juvie/subadult) GBB is, as yet, unsexed because it tends to incorporate the molts into its web where I can't get to them without destroying the whole thing - and tends to flick hairs like crazy when I poke around in the cage with the tongs to clean out dead crickets. All three of the GBBs were heavy kickers, but beautiful spiders with a great feeding response and always out in the open(ish). Even when "hiding" in their webs, they can still be seen - unlike those pet holes that spend their time burrowed underground. Their extensive webbing is pretty cool, too.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Yea, much more horizontal and vertical space for them than the typical terrestrial. The 'issue' I had was with them webbing right up to the lid in shallower containers. It doesn't harm them however I find it annoying to destroy webbing and 'scaring' the spider every time the lid was opened. So I plan to give them enclosures with enough height where they are not so terribly likely to web up the lid so much for this reason. I've read about individuals making layered levels, not really seeing that in mine yet, except for the main shelter area where they retreat when scared or getting ready for molt- they like to hang out on top of that area too.

More horizontal space because they sure like to spread out all that webbing around. I noticed a common problem with this species was webbing over the water dish.. that has happened with mine. Rehoused one with a huge horizontal space, with shelter and anchor points concentrated in one corner and none in an opposite corner for the water dish. That has worked out well for a while but since it has molted.. sigh, it has started to lightly web that area too..

I'm still learning so I am not sure what the 'ideal' size is for this species in this regard- not webbing the top so much and reasonable chance of having a corner lightly webbed for the water dish issue.

I'm not sure if exoterras are suitable for A. chalcodes.. mainly due to the front doors not really letting you lay down super deep substrates. For several months mine(in Jamie's adult enclosure btw, filled it up to the ventilation holes- that's 4 inches of sub) did not dig however last month it suddenly started on a massive evacuation project under the shelter- she may have already dug down to the bottom.. I'd say very deep substrate is recommended for this species?

Cassiusstein

Arachnosquire
I'd agree with the others who have already posted, if given a basic terrestrial setup with lots of anchor point, GBB's will thrive. The "semi-arboreal" thing comes from the fact that in northern Venezuela, where they are native, they sometimes extend their webbing up into shrubbery (they almost always make their homes under dense vegetation), and can be seen inside of the shrubs as well.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
There's arboreals that are barely arboreal, living in shrubs, the base of tree trunks, or on cliff sides.

Tom Servo

Arachnopeon
Maybe I'll have to load the habitat with fake plants and things and such-work the web points interest the option to climb a bit

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There's arboreals that are barely arboreal, living in shrubs, the base of tree trunks, or on cliff sides.
Would you consider most arboreals in the hobby to be in this category? Unfortunately, my species knowledge isn't very diverse. The only ones I know of that really setup HQ in the "air" are Avics.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I'm not sure what the difference between several feet off the ground in a bush and high up in a tree as far as hobby keeping goes. Most arboreal enclosures are barely more than a few feet high for "true" arboreals so if semi arboreals normally live in bushes a few feet off the ground what would it hurt to give them a more arboreal setup?

On my third GBB I wanted to try something different. I give it the normal terrestrial setup in a deeper than the normal box (9/10 inches deep) then I drilled and glued in bamboo skewers to make a criss-cross pattern in the upper 8-9 inches. The juvi was a male and he immediately went up and webbed a nice tunnel system above the ground. I only saw him on the ground twice after that when he went after some food that had fallen out of the webbing. I found it interesting he preferred webbing up over ground level tunnels when the same amount of webbing points were given in both places. It was neat to see him set up the webbing getting faster as more web base was laid out.

He has since matured and went off to pair, but here are some photos a week or so after I put him in the enclosure.

I'll have to hunt down the photos I took right before sending him off. The web tunnels were thick and pretty cool looking. I'm tempted to get another one to watch this happen again but I'm a bit burned out on GBBs.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
GBBs are hardy and adaptable. I gave my juvenile male minimum substrate with a lot of anchor points, and he has made an elaborate tunnel system within the webbing.

And temperament-wise, I guess I lucked out, because he has never once kicked hairs or tried to escape. I'm going to miss him when he matures and gets sent off to a female.

Three months into his new home:

Almost seven months into his new home:

I'm tempted to get another one to watch this happen again but I'm a bit burned out on GBBs.
Heresy!

Trenor

Arachnoprince
GBBs are hardy and adaptable. I gave my juvenile male minimum substrate with a lot of anchor points, and he has made an elaborate tunnel system within the webbing.

And temperament-wise, I guess I lucked out, because he has never once kicked hairs or tried to escape. I'm going to miss him when he matures and gets sent off to a female.

Three months into his new home:

Almost seven months into his new home:
That's a great setup for a GBB. I think temperament is a factor but I also wonder if it's got to do with how they are setup and kept. I think some setups make the T feel more secure and so it's less likely to kick. I also think the amount of interaction can affect this as well.

:p Haha, I've kept 3 so far. While I love my girl and think she is awesome I find there are a lot of other species I'd like to raise from slings that I haven't before. I've also had OW fever for a long time now and I find myself attracted to more of them these days.