Self sustaining enclosures

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
This is another topic that I have heard about that sparked attention. Self sustaining enclosures. Is this really possible? If so, how? What would you need? I am assuming live plants would be necessary and if that is the case, wouldn't heat lamps/uv lamps be harmful to the tarantula after prolonged exposure even with a hide? I am just curious if this is capable of being done successfully and what cleaner bugs could be used.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Personally it does not sound feasible for the average person to succeed. It would require a set up with enough plants, invertebrates, etc. to be continually recurring as things get eaten or things rot away.
Sounds more like an invitation for a severe mite/phorid fly infestation to me.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
Personally it does not sound feasible for the average person to succeed. It would require a set up with enough plants, invertebrates, etc. to be continually recurring as things get eaten or things rot away.
Sounds more like an invitation for a severe mite/phorid fly infestation to me.
Yea, I share similar thoughts. But I've been wrong before so I thought I'd ask.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have every doubt this could be done successfully by the average T collector, esp with large adult Ts.

Em the bug

Arachnopeon
I've thought about this a fair few times. It's a really interesting idea, and I'm sure that technically it's possible, but the realities and logistics would be immense. At the very least, I would have thought it would have to be a very large enclosure, given that it would be supporting multiple lifeforms. More of an installation than an enclosure.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I thought some pokies could be kept communal?
They aren't communal as fish are. There's only 1 documented case of communal living Ts in the wild that I'm aware of, H. incei.

M. balfouri has been kept communally in captivity, but not documented in the wild to my knowledge.

As for Poki's to my knowledge they have not been documented as such in the wild. People do stuff them into tanks, just like some do w/Avics. That isn't the definition of communal in my opinion. It's a forced tolerance that isn't always successful. not like H. incei or M. balfouri.

People put lots of animals into the same viv together, doesn't mean that's a "communal" setup at all from my perspective.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
I have a bioactive vivarium (20x25x50cm) for my Avicularia Versicolour, shes a 3.5" adult

The viv has 2 live bromeliads, some cushion moss and a earthy substrate, in the substrate there is springtails that take car of mould issues. Lighting wise there is a small bulb on a timer (daylight hours) that provides the right UV for the plants to survive/grow.

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I am assuming live plants would be necessary and if that is the case, wouldn't heat lamps/uv lamps be harmful to the tarantula after prolonged exposure even with a hide?
Lighting wise there is a small bulb on a timer (daylight hours) that provides the right UV for the plants to survive/grow.
Plants do not need heat lamps or UV light to grow.
The Kelvins (or color temperature) of the light source is what is relevant to plant growth, along with PAR emitted. A bulb/light source in the range of 6500K is optimal for plant growth.

Dustynn89

Arachnopeon
The Kelvins (or color temperature) of the light source is what is relevant to plant growth, along with PAR emitted. A bulb/light source in the range of 6500K is optimal for plant growth.
I actually feel that this is incorrect. Please show me something stating this to be true from a scientific stand point. I was always told plants need some uv. I am familiar with kelvin and lamp measurements i.e parabolic, a lamps, ext. never have I heard that kelvin temperature was relevant for plant growth. If this is true I'm pretty excited, I work for a light fixture manufacturing company and would be able to get high k emitters that run at low wattages for free!

RMJ

Arachnosquire
No heat lamp in the viv, the bulb is a SMD / LED type that emits enough of the right spectrum for the plants to grow, I believe plants only use minimal amounts of UV for photosynthesis. Similar lights in my Crestie vivarium thats flourishing as you can see below :)

Attachments

vespers

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No heat lamp in the viv, the bulb is a SMD / LED type that emits enough of the right spectrum for the plants to grow, I believe plants only use minimal amounts of UV for photosynthesis. Similar lights in my Crestie vivarium thats flourishing as you can see below :)
Sorry, I just mentioned the heat lamp in response to Dustynn89 mentioning "heat lamps/uv lamps".
I, too, use similar LED fixtures on my dart vivs.

RMJ

Arachnosquire
Sorry, I just mentioned the heat lamp in response to Dustynn89 mentioning "heat lamps/uv lamps".
I, too, use similar LED fixtures on my dart vivs.
No Worries :)

So to answer the thread question yes it can be done and it really isnt that much of an issue to maintain as long as you keep an eye on your cleanup crews activity etc! use LED/SMD type bulbs like me and vesper to prevent any danger of burning the T (heat build up) and ensure you have relevant light cycles to not cause the T stress ( a decent Hide/foliage ) would certainly help with this for 'daylight hours'

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
They aren't communal as fish are. There's only 1 documented case of communal living Ts in the wild that I'm aware of, H. incei.
Everything is different where in the wild individuals have the option to escape or otherwise part ways.

The communal nature of fish may be overstated, at least where it comes to marine fish, which are all I've ever kept. Either that or I have a knack for picking out the serial killers of a "peaceful" species. :hurting: So I gave up on that and have one fish and armored invertebrates. :p Hmm, next setup I should pick a bolder more spectacular fish... Right now my little chromis seems to be in hiding... :shifty: