1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Selenocosmiinae sp. Biru is now known as...

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by antinous, Feb 13, 2019.

1. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Birupes simoroxigorum, interesting new genus name. Points go to whoever can pronounce the species name. More can be read if you are a BTS member (which I am not). If anybody has a copy and can report back on it, that would be great.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Rigor Mortis

Rigor Mortis Arachnosquire Active Member

Sim-uh-rocks-ig-or-uhm? o_O I think the x makes it looks like some space age spider.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Saw this a few hours ago but was too paranoid to share.. :sorry:

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. antinous

antinous Pamphopharaoh Arachnosupporter

Why?

5. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

Ah, lol. Last couple times I shared new things from facebook there were already threads on them

6. The Seraph

The Seraph Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    Sai-more-row-chi-gore-rum. Did I get it right?

• Like Like x 1
  7. creepa

creepa Arachnoknight

8. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    i thought that was going to be in the next issue...

I have a BTS membership but a quick look through the pictures of the most recent one i can download (because i cant read fast) did not reveal anything about sp. biru.

9. creepa

creepa Arachnoknight

Paper is fact..., facebook not.:banghead:

10. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoprince Active Member

USA
    :stop:
    Neither one is necessarily fact... Both have the possibility to be either accurate or inaccurate. (Though a scientific paper is probably more reliable on average :p )

11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

See-moro-zi-gor-uhm?

I've probably butchered the hell out of that :hilarious::dead:

12. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

For the pronunciation of the scientific names I can't figure out how to pronounce, I use Google Translate. Translate from = Latin; Translate to = English, then click the little speaker icon for the English version to hear it. Google Translate is quite accurate considering the loose rules of how to pronounce organism scientific names.

13. AphonopelmaTX

AphonopelmaTX Moderator Staff Member

Gabriel, Ray & Sherwood, Danniella. (2019). A new genus and species of theraphosid spider from Sarawak, Borneo (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Journal of the British Tarantula Society 34(1): 19-34.

Abstract: A new genus and species of the subfamily Selenocosmiinae Simon, 1892 are described from Sarawak, Borneo: Birupes simoroxigorum gen. et sp. nov. with discussion on the use of palpal bulb, spermathecae and stridulatory organ morphology in selenocosmiine systematics.

As for the pronunciation of the species name, @Rigor Mortis seems to have it right. According to the paper, the species name is a combination of the names of the collectors' children: Simon, Roxanne, and Igor.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1