Selenocosmiinae sp. Biru is now known as...

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
Birupes simoroxigorum, interesting new genus name. Points go to whoever can pronounce the species name. More can be read if you are a BTS member (which I am not). If anybody has a copy and can report back on it, that would be great.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Birupes simoroxigorum, interesting new genus name. Points go to whoever can pronounce the species name. More can be read if you are a BTS member (which I am not). If anybody has a copy and can report back on it, that would be great.
Sim-uh-rocks-ig-or-uhm? o_O I think the x makes it looks like some space age spider.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
i thought that was going to be in the next issue...

I have a BTS membership but a quick look through the pictures of the most recent one i can download (because i cant read fast) did not reveal anything about sp. biru.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
Paper is fact..., facebook not.:banghead:
:stop:
Neither one is necessarily fact... Both have the possibility to be either accurate or inaccurate. (Though a scientific paper is probably more reliable on average :p )

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
For the pronunciation of the scientific names I can't figure out how to pronounce, I use Google Translate. Translate from = Latin; Translate to = English, then click the little speaker icon for the English version to hear it. Google Translate is quite accurate considering the loose rules of how to pronounce organism scientific names.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Gabriel, Ray & Sherwood, Danniella. (2019). A new genus and species of theraphosid spider from Sarawak, Borneo (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Journal of the British Tarantula Society 34(1): 19-34.

Abstract: A new genus and species of the subfamily Selenocosmiinae Simon, 1892 are described from Sarawak, Borneo: Birupes simoroxigorum gen. et sp. nov. with discussion on the use of palpal bulb, spermathecae and stridulatory organ morphology in selenocosmiine systematics.

As for the pronunciation of the species name, @Rigor Mortis seems to have it right. According to the paper, the species name is a combination of the names of the collectors' children: Simon, Roxanne, and Igor.