Selenobrachys philippinus and Selenocosmia peerboomi

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A friend of mine just received a parcel from a friend in the Philippines. The parcel had specimens of three different species, Orphnaecus sp. "Negros", Selenocosmia peerboomi and Selenobrachys peerboomi. The latter being a surprising bright orange and very leggy and quite handsome. Unfortunately only one specimen of this species were included in the parcel and a subadult male to add to the irony, but enjoy him:

Also a few Selenocosmia peerboomi found their way to Denmark as well.

Regards
Søren

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thanks for the pics Soren! The Selenobrachys philippinus is stunning!

I see that's the only described species in that genus... what distinguishes it from the other genera in this subfamily?

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow!

who is your friend from the Philippines?

how come i dont have friends like that?

very stunning!

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ts

pre, meron ako ganyan local na Ts. nabenta ko na lahat pero iwan ako ng tigiisang species

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
wow i didnt know we had those kind of t's in our country. very nice. :drool:

M.F.Bagaturov

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Seems to me You are philippinnian guys are do not know what You're have right behind Your nose :)
Awesome t's Soren and pics!

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov said:
Seems to me You are philippinnian guys are do not know what You're have right behind Your nose :)
Awesome t's Soren and pics!

well, stuff like that doesnt exactly thrive here in the city. the only spiders you'l see here are common huntsman spiders and the like.

fyi, negros (where those Ts were collected) is an island quite far from Manila. its mountains are full of armed rebels too so not a lot of people go there for fun, especially just to collect wildlife :}

i know because i worked there as a Jesuit missionary for 2 years. the only other non-islanders i'd see were NGO people and scuba divers. :rolleyes:

kudos to mr. peerboom for collecting Negrense Ts, centipedes and millipedes and sending em over to Europe to be enjoyed by the whole world. :worship:

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Minor differences. G. Schmidt argues that it differes in the presence of a third claw on leg IV, the lack of intercheliceral pegs, tomb stone shaped spermathecae and that tarsal scopula on leg I is parted. Other members of Selenocosmiinae shares these characteristics. In my opinion it belongs elsewhere but for now and until further research (perhaps) tells different it is Selenobrachys.

Regards
Søren

GoTerps said:
Thanks for the pics Soren! The Selenobrachys philippinus is stunning!

I see that's the only described species in that genus... what distinguishes it from the other genera in this subfamily?

cloud711

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yah i agree with you tarsier. we really dont have access to those kind of places because of security reasons. but if given the chance i would like to go hunting for t's.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cloud711 said:
yah i agree with you tarsier. we really dont have access to those kind of places because of security reasons. but if given the chance i would like to go hunting for t's.
you can't go lookin for T's there?

tarsier

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
you can.

but Negros Island is far from Manila where wolfpak, cloud and I live.

the security problem cloud was talking about is the fact that the mountains of Negros are crawling with various armed rebel groups.

in my 2 years there, they have never bothered me.

but if you live in Manila, its not really worth it to go there just for Ts. cheaper to have someone from Negros collect and ship it for you.

great to go there for scuba diving though :)

wolfpak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but if you want i have contacts from Negros. i could give a you a tour :)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
G. Schmidt argues that it differes in the presence of a third claw on leg IV, the lack of intercheliceral pegs, tomb stone shaped spermathecae and that tarsal scopula on leg I is parted. Other members of Selenocosmiinae shares these characteristics.
Hi Søren,
I don't even bother reading his work anymore. These characters are indeed found as a combination in another genus, I wish he would study all material. These spiders belong to quite a different group then the Selenocosmia, why he would affiliate that name (Seleno) is beyond me. Even going back a ways he should of affiliated them with the old group Phlogieae, particularly if he is looking at such characters as scopula division in the anterior tarsi. That's contradictory presentation. To note scopula division and not look at Simon's old tribe (which I'm guessing he didn't) just doesn't gel at all.

He missed a crucial node! Nevermind ;)

Steve

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi Steve ;-)

With this species and this character combination I am sure you can emphasise my opinion in particular in relation to our previous discussions ;-)

Oh - btw - and the anterior pair of legs are longer and stouter than the rear legs ;-)

Regards
Søren

Steve Nunn said:
Hi Søren,
I don't even bother reading his work anymore. These characters are indeed found as a combination in another genus, I wish he would study all material. These spiders belong to quite a different group then the Selenocosmia, why he would affiliate that name (Seleno) is beyond me. Even going back a ways he should of affiliated them with the old group Phlogieae, particularly if he is looking at such characters as scopula division in the anterior tarsi. That's contradictory presentation. To note scopula division and not look at Simon's old tribe (which I'm guessing he didn't) just doesn't gel at all.

He missed a crucial node! Nevermind ;)

Steve

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
phormingochilus said:
With this species and this character combination I am sure you can emphasise my opinion in particular in relation to our previous discussions ;-)
MMHHHMMM :) I'd sure like to see those "divided" scopula on tarsi I. Do you think the type/s are mature??

Oh - btw - and the anterior pair of legs are longer and stouter than the rear legs ;-)
lol, I noticed ;)

Always interesting :)
Steve

Last edited:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A friend of mine just received a parcel from a friend in the Philippines. The parcel had specimens of three different species, Orphnaecus sp. "Negros", Selenocosmia peerboomi and Selenobrachys peerboomi. The latter being a surprising bright orange and very leggy and quite handsome. Unfortunately only one specimen of this species were included in the parcel and a subadult male to add to the irony, but enjoy him:

Regards
Søren
Hello Soren,

Just wondering if you could update us on your S. philippinus. Are you still keeping it? Has he matured yet? Were you able to find a female for him? Was there any difficulty in raising him (ie. required lower/higher temps than typical, lower/higher humidity, etc.)? Sorry for all the questions. Just doesn't seem to be much info floating around.

And to Soren or Steve (anyone who may know, actually :D), is there any info on reclassification for this species or is that still in the works?

Thanks,
David

phormingochilus

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He matured to become a rather large spindly looking male:

- and was presented to Volkers large female. Afaik he mated her and ended his days in ethanol for closer examination. I hope he also impregnated her and that offspring will find its way to me eventually ;-)

In keeping regards this species is quite easy to keep as it is quite happy with a hide-away and a deep moist substrate, hi/lo temperature doesn't seem to be of big importance, though one shouldn't feed it too large sized food items as this can intimidate it a bit.

The species name is still valid though competent persons are still researching this species.

Regards
Søren

Hello Soren,

Just wondering if you could update us on your S. philippinus. Are you still keeping it? Has he matured yet? Were you able to find a female for him? Was there any difficulty in raising him (ie. required lower/higher temps than typical, lower/higher humidity, etc.)? Sorry for all the questions. Just doesn't seem to be much info floating around.

And to Soren or Steve (anyone who may know, actually :D), is there any info on reclassification for this species or is that still in the works?

Thanks,
David