Seemingly random death?

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Alright. So I believe one of my versicolor has passed on me while I was at work last night but I'm not sure why?

Lets's get the obvious questions out of the way and I'll be posting pictures as well, so if you don't wanna see what may be a dead T, there is your CW.

Being kept in one of those larger vials, straight up top soil as substrate. Cross ventilation was obviously a key, and I have been dripping water on its web for drinking every 2-3 days. It made a nice web tube and has been eating. 2 of the other ones have even molted already and have eaten post molt.

Last night when I got off work I noticed this one specifically was sitting in a weird position, with it's first walking leg on the right hand side folded basically on top of itself. I left it alone until this morning and found it in the same position. Not moving, not responding.

I dripped some water on its mouth and webbing and closed it back up in case it is in the middle of molting, but I'm honestly not sure what happened here. Followed all of the major tips I have been given, lots of airflow, dont keep them super wet just make sure they have drinking water regularly, and leave them be.

Any ideas as to what else may have caused this? It also ate 2 days ago if that makes any sort of difference. I'm not willing to write this off as failure to thrive, especially since the others I own seem to be doing well, and considering even yesterday morning this one was alive and seemingly well. I wanna know what I messed up.

Attachments

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
cold drafts can be a killer.
ive never raised avic slings in vials, and probably never will. hacing to rely on frequent feedings and misting as the only water source for a already delicate sling is easily skipped by just using a deli cup.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
cold drafts can be a killer.
ive never raised avic slings in vials, and probably never will. hacing to rely on frequent feedings and misting as the only water source for a already delicate sling is easily skipped by just using a deli cup.
My room is 80 degrees at all times so we can rule out the cold entirely. My reason for choosing vials is a combination of, the smalled tubs I could find the provided any sort of verticle room had them SWIMMING in their enclosures as well as the had a tendancy to web the corners where they'd web the lid of the container making it impossible to opennwithout destroying their home.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Man, you sure have bad luck with the versicolors...
Sometimes...it just happens, even though you do everything right. I lost an A.metallica sling that way, and an E.sp.Red. In a sac full of hundred slings, there have to be some who don't make it. :(

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Man, you sure have bad luck with the versicolors...
Sometimes...it just happens, even though you do everything right. I lost an A.metallica sling that way, and an E.sp.Red. In a sac full of hundred slings, there have to be some who don't make it. :(
I can live knowing the first ones were DOA, but I'm really frustrated that now these ones arrived alive and well and one has already passed in just a few weeks. Now I'm not sure what specifically I did wrong. Maybe didnt offer water often enough? Maybe too often? I'm perplexed.

Maybe consider trying to find taller deli cups where they can have a proper water dish? Not sure if that would eliminate the need for me to directly offer water on their webbing.

Last edited: