1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeking info about the behavior and needs of a few Ts

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by PhilMcWonder, Nov 13, 2018.

1. PhilMcWonder

PhilMcWonder Arachnosquire Active Member

Texas
    Advertisement
    Mexican blood leg (Aphonopelma bicoloratum)
    Desert Blond (Aphonopelma chalcodes)
    Costa Rican Zebra (Aphonopelma seemani)
    Salmon Pink Birdeater (Lasiodora parahybana)
    Green Bottle Blue (Cromatopelma cyanopubescens)

These are the species I am interested in. I want to know more about them.
    How they normally act.
    How their enclosure should be built.
    Tips for care or specific needs.
    What to expect.
    Any your own experiences with them.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  2. TownesVanZandt

TownesVanZandt Arachnodemon Active Member

Norway
    GBBs are one my favourite species! They web a lot, eats well and are quite active in addition to having beautiful colours. Setup is easy; completely dry substrate, a water dish, a hide and a bunch of anchor points for its webbing.

I can´t be bothered to look up the popular names for the other species you mentioned. Please use the scientific names in the future :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Theneil

Theneil Arachnoangel Active Member

USA

A. chalcodes - Dry sub terrestrial/fossorial setup, slow growing, typically mellow.

A. seemani - Can be kept on dry sub but prefers moist. Terrestrial/fossorial setup. Known to be a pet hole.

L. parahybana - relatively quick growing, great appetite, mine can be a bit jumpy/spazzy Terrestrial setup, sub can be kept dry or with a bit of moisture. Usually pretty inexpensive as well.

GBB - A bit skittish, moderate growth rate, dey sub, terrestrial setup. Do well in slightly oversized enclosures with lots of things to turn into web tunnels. Good feeding response.

A. bicoloratum - i do not have experience with this species but i would GUESS that it is very similar in care to the A. chalcodes. Note: IIRC this species is pretty pricy.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

Everything here is for adults and subadults, nothing else. I'm giving the extreme Cliff notes on all species. If you want more info, then ask.

Typical Aphonopelma care. Terrestrial setup, allow for burrowing, generally calm species. Overflow water dish, allow to dry out, repeat. In other words, they appreciate a bit of humidity.

Terrestrial setup, allow for burrowing room, mild temperament, overflow water dish every so often.

Burrowing species - allow for at least 10" of substrate for an adult. Kept perpetually moist, should never be allowed to dry out. Generally slightly skittish. It'll retreat to it's burrow by the time you open the enclosure.

Terrestrial setup. No burrowing room needed. Appreciates a small bit of humidity, just overflow the water dish every so often. Heavy eater. Generally calm, but tend to kick an abundance of itchy hairs.

Terrestrial setup with webbing anchor points. Must have those anchor points for it to make web tubes, or it will never settle in properly. Once again, just overflow the water dish, let it dry out, and repeat. Not to be kept "bone dry" as is reported frequently. Very skittish, but out often.

Any specific questions?

• Love Love x 1
  5. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Well, I keep all of the species except A. seemanni bone dry... if you live in the desert, like EulersK, you want a little moisture in there, if you live somehwere more humid bone dry is better. Most people I know actually keep the northern Aphonopelmas (not seemanni!) and the GBB completely dry with a water dish. (If I overflow a water dish that moisture will be still there a month from now :meh:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. EulersK

EulersK Arachnoworm Staff Member

Couldn't love this any more than I do now. Humidity and moisture are wholly dependant on where you live. I'm in a desert, take that into consideration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

I've always wanted to live in a desert but hate the snow.

to OP GBB is fast and will web like a christmas wonderland
    LP will grow like the hulk not the incredible kind more like lou ferrigno
    if you want a friendly T i recommend OBT

8. Potatatas

Potatatas Arachnosquire Active Member

UK
    I'm not sure you know how deserts work :wideyed:

Can only comment on LP and GBB slings.
    GBB slings are gorgeous and go through a dramatic colour change as they grow so I'd recommend getting as a sling if you feel comfortable with them. Mine stays up high and treat it more like an arboreal. Lots of anchor points.

My LP sling has burrowed extensively due to premoult but stayed out in the open before. And as the others said just keep it like your standard dry terrestrial

• Love Love x 1
  9. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    One new question.
    What type of sub do they like? I usually use coco fiber but I have been hearing more about different blends. There is supposedly the blend of peat moss, soil, sand and carbon that helps keep mold out. And what is a good sub for the desert dwellers?

Also, what about the Goliath Bird Eater?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
  10. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    THIRD QUESTION
    I hear The Costa Rican Zebras are communal. Are any others?
    How does a community work?

11. antinous

antinous Pamphoprince Arachnosupporter

I use dry cocofiber and that works as well as anything, it's up to you what you choose.

Moist substrate, large water dish, etc. Voracious eaters and fast growers. Horrible hairs though.

No, they're not. I don't know what you read that said that, but that's 100% false. No, the only 'supposedly' communal species is M. balfouri the others have shown losses. Play it safe, for you and your tarantulas, and keep them separate. Experiment as you wish, but you're going into 'uncharted' territory as no tarantula species have been noted in science to be communal, but like I said before, M. balfouri would be the only communal I'd personally try to set up.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnobaron Active Member

stick to coco fiber mate. nothing wrong with good ole american coco fiber.

urticating setae on par with fiber glass I hear I saw a really good care thread here once

edit: use scientific names btw and here http://arachnoboards.com/threads/theraphosa-care-and-info.303033/

wrong. that's a fast way to get one fat T and only one. M balfouri has been known to have pretty good communal success. I don't recommend it. a community work when other people give me their money...sorry wait that was communism. a community is when you don't eat each other...well at least not often.

edit: use scientific names x2

• Like Like x 1
  13. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    Thank you for the heads up. Ill keep that in mind. My info comes from other keeper. Although I find not every keeper is the same, I find its still good to ask questions.
    Not every anwser is a good one though. What works for one person might not work for another. I'll take your advice and avoid "communities". Might check out the M. balfouri
    when I get more experience.

SCIENTIFIC NAMES!!!
    I'm Sorry!
    I am a simple, uncultured man XD
    I'll try to remember in the future.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  14. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

Sub is a personal choice for the keeper...ANY of the acceptable substrates can be used for ANY species....no t requires a certain sub....I keep everything on dirt...others keep everything on coco fiber or even peat moss.

Not a beginner species...wait on this one....but for the record...damp sub and deep enough to burrow...otherwise a classic terrestrial set up....like almost all terrestrials. There isnt much variation between individual terrestrials.

Absolutely NOT communal...aside from M. balfouri, none are....in general, communals are a poor idea...for a beginner, a horrible idea....theres no reason to force solitary animals to share homes....stick with one per enclosure and you will do fine.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  15. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnoknight Active Member

Ohio
  16. PhilMcWonder

Texas
    Wasn't planning on it anytime soon. Friend of a friend says he is a breeder and may have some sling next year. I was curious but don't think I am ready for that monster of a T just yet...

17. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnobaron Active Member

Texas
    I just want to clarify here, Theraphosa sp. aren't considered advanced species because of their size or nasty setae, it's because of the husbandry. It can be hard for new keepers to dial in (and maintain) the correct moisture level while still providing adequate ventilation.

None of the species you listed are very moisture dependent. The LP likes a bit of moisture, but it won't croak if it dries up a bit. If you're wanting to get a Theraphosa sling next year, I'd suggest you get a T that's a little more moisture dependent so that you get some experience with that.

You don't need any crazy blend of substrates to keep mold at bay. Mold is not an issue with tarantulas, but if it really bothers you, you can just get some springtails. As soon as a little mold starts to pop up, I put some in the enclosure and never see it again.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Glorious Baboon

Glorious Baboon Arachnosquire Active Member

Utah
    My a. Seemanni is a complete pain in the rear either bolts out of the enclosure or strikes my tongs when trying to get the water bowl I think it’s broken I don’t get threat postures just strikes that being said it’s also one of my favorite in the collection it’s a really good looking T spends almost all it’s time in the open plus the attitude i think she was wild caught I received her around 4.5” I have a male around 3” that’s really mannered I’ve had from a 1.5” he also stays in the open but gives threat postures when he doesn’t want my presence but haven’t been struck yet. I usually just overfill the water bowl weekly and feed 5 large crickets to my female an 3 to my male these guys are known to have a bit of an attitude and will most likely run unless there feeling extra tough for some reason I would recommend one there one of my favorite nw along side the psalmopeous genus which I also recommend if you wanna get an introduction to the speed of old worlds and have an all around head turner people usually get drawn to my arboreals when looking at my collection

19. RonC

RonC Arachnopeon

All of my T's are slings or young juves. I use coco fiber that is hydrated. Not the bone dry straight from the bag and but not moist to the touch either. I overflow the water dish a few drops every couple of days. The coco fiber with a tad of moisture in it packs well so they can burrow easily.