second t?

LasidoraGT

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you have a burning desire to get a real good looking t, I would suggest a C.fasciatum. They are, well at least mine is pretty skittish. But they are really pretty but i don't know if they are big webbers or not. Mine has made some web, more than any of my others. I would also reccomend and Aphonopelma species. I have a what I think may be a mature or at least close to mature female A.hentzi. Shes a real sweetheart. I love her. Oh before i forget. Maybe a E.pachypus, mine is really docile. She is my first and probably only to ever have baboon tarantula. They have really fuzzy back legs.

Robert Jordan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Any Avic sp. is a good step from the relatively pet-rockish T's. They're faster, more unpredictable, but generally aren't trying to rip off your face. And they're purty as posies.

I've found girls dig my Avic more than my H. Gigas, which is what I'd recommend if you're looking to develop post-traumatic stress disorder.

nexen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I vote for Avicularia versicolor. Get a sling. They have stunning colorations - blue all over with little white tiger stripes on their rump.
Mine is a tame little critter and very active. When I handle it I get the sense that it is actively watching me where my G.Rosea seems mostly oblivious. I guess they have better eyesight and spatial reasoning since they are arboreal and can jump?

I've heard good things about the purple avics too, but I have no experience with them.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im suprised no one has brought up brachypelmas yet. They all reach a decent size, most are docile, and most are very pretty and hardy.

John

Arachn'auQuébec

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would also vote for any avic if you want an arboreal or L.parahybana if you want a terrestrial.

Both genuses are pretty active, pretty fast and may be skittish but not often. They're awesome Ts for any mid-experienced keeper IMO.

tvelez1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I am really liking the avic versi. And I also really like the gbb. Which is the better choice?

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nobody has asked what the dude is looking for. Big? Defensive? Colorful?

--the nature boy

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I am really liking the avic versi. And I also really like the gbb. Which is the better choice?

Better consider it T #2 and #3, and get both, you certainly won't be disapointed.

The GBB not the best for handling, but the webbing and being visible make this an ideal display spider.

The versi can be easily handled, has amazing colours, creates tube webs, and easy to tweezer feed.

The choice is yours.

Nature boy - Not everyone is an adreniline junkie, however I did just pick up an OBT sling last weekend for myself.

Singbluemymind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
IMO the GBB would be a great choice. easy as pie to take care of eat great very pretty and they can be handled they may kick a bit of hair but its super weak

wonderfvl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
B. vagans and/or L. parahybana. Both are hardy, cheap, great feeders, & always out in the open. imo, B. vagans is much more hand able than salmon pink.

alchie 8

Arachnopeon
One of my personal favs is the A. versicolor but do some more research. Look at picture threads and google the care sheets. Then look at prices and figure out what you want to spend and what dealers have good prices, you don't want to get ripped off. If you do decide to order 2 T's you might even end up with a freebie and get 3 :) There are soooo many T's to choose from you need to decide exactly what you are looking for. Even though natureboy is a little adrenaline junkie he has a point. Do you want to get into arboreals a little more? Just going for color/ looks? Size? etc. All avics. are great IMO, as well as a GBB, or C. faciatum. Also look into B. smithi or B. emilia. Nice dispay T's that are pretty hardy and would also be a good second T I think..... Good luck

tvelez1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i dont really want an agressive spider but i do want a gentle giant that is beautiful. the more i look at the gbb and the a. versi the more i fall in love. i live in ms so will the humidity b a problem for the gbb? i know the a. versi needs it

SteelSpider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My first was a G. rosea and i got started about 4 months ago. I went with H. Lividum 3" as my second. Very crazy and never seen it till it molted and i changed its home. Now I have A. avic, a. versicolor, 2 OBT slings, b. albop. p. regalis, n. chromatus and p. metallica sling on the way. my most active is my p. regalis. Its all in what you desire (looking to handle, display or defensiveness).

dantediss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
im a bit surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet but if your into a large non aggressive t with color imo you cant beat a chaco..sure they hair but rarely and theis disposition seems to be generally mild mannered..order from swifts and get an l.p for a freebie,unless your up for his hentzi freebie challenge..their only about a quarter inch..its awesome to raise a t though,and nothing will beat the knowledge gained from doing so

Vaughn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
At some point you are going to have to get a G.pulchra and this might be a good time . Right now they are available and at a good price .