1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seattle Bug Safari

Discussion in 'Zoo Trips (Man Made Habitats)' started by Gleek, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Gleek

Gleek Arachnopeon

usa
    Advertisement
    Hi,
    i went to the seattle bug safari near pike place warket in seattle Washington. I thought it was great! it wasnt super based on education (id say anyway) but it had a fabuolos array of arachnids, phasmids as well as centipedes, millipedes, plus a huge lot of beetles/roaches! The enclosures were clean and well furnished the man (manning the front) was very nice. He wasnt the owner but pretty educated on the subject of arthros. im planning on going back to meet the owner at some point. Apparently they had an excess of chinese mantises(Tenodera Aridifolia Sinensis) and had a few for sale so i adopted one. Ying Yang(mantis) is both active and a very healthy eater. She downed two baby B.Dubia roaches within the first twenty minutes of being home! Shes only two inches but shes incredibly fascinating. oh and i got a little spider key chain, in the gift shop! i highly recomend a visit.
    the website is SeattleBugSafari.com

Gleek

2. I went there on 11/26/11 (my birthday :p) and it was awesome! They had some pedes, some roaches, and some tarantulas like a few G. roseas, G. pulchripes, a couple of pokies (they had a pederseni for sale, and a regalis on display), a couple true T. blondis, a L. parahybana, and a couple P. camburigi (spelling?) over all it was very nice. I would recommend it. And the owner really knows what he's taking about, unlike some zoos :p over all, it was a great trip.

3. Very well put together in a large room separate from the retail entrance. A few too many repeats for my taste but some impressive displays all the same. The Abedus(?) water bugs are reproducing in what I thought was the crown jewel of the collection. Good representation of predators & herbivores: roaches of a few different varieties, phasmids, 'true' spiders, tarantulas, lubbers, etc. Nice displays, some for sale, of expired display animals. An even mix of education and entertainment. A notch below San Diego Zoo's new-ish invert area...pretty good in my book.

4. When I went there they had a full grown Goliath female... That was the coolest thing there, she was HUGE and very active at the time.

5. Ludedor24

Ludedor24 Arachnobaron

NJ
    any personal photos taken?

6. i went there with my younger brother and sister, it was very cool! i didn't know they sold animals there though...

7. Jessie

Jessie Arachnopeon

WA
    My husband took me there yesterday. The place was quite neat -- that huge T. blondi was something else; I was also impressed with the L. parahybana. They were selling some P. pedersenis.

8. OBT1

OBT1 Arachnosquire

LA
    They sell animals?:eek:

9. That's too bad...Pike Place won't be the same without you. If you put up a classified ad here for 'local pickup only' you'll probably have better luck selling the critters. Best of luck!

10. Big B

Big B Arachnoknight

Ugh, never even got to visit this place. =(

11. Entomancer

Entomancer Arachnobaron

No!

Now I don't have anything fun to do in Seattle. :C

12. Arienette

Arienette Arachnoknight

spokane
    theres a really nice bug zoo if you hop the ferries and head to Victoria. haha.

13. Heckboy

Heckboy Arachnopeon

True. Went there on a field trip with my daughter's class (no way I was missing that!). A very cool leafcutter ant colony setup in that place.

14. Arienette

Arienette Arachnoknight

spokane
    yep :) we do a lot of research around Vancouve/Victoria on the European Fire ants that have established themselves in the area.. i try to sneak by the zoo once a year at least :p

15. jakykong

jakykong Arachnobaron

Kent, Wa
    Sadly, the Seattle Bug Safari is closing its doors on Monday.

They're selling everything. The furniture, the animals, everything. I went in today to offer a bid for one or two of their tarantulas.

16. nikki9093

nikki9093 Arachnosquire

I went yesterday and bought some tanks. Saw a t I wanted but eh....sad to see this place closing its doors.