Scorps:Communal or not

bluerich74

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok folks.I know absolutely nothing about scorps,tho I do have an Emperor.Anyway,Im planning a trip next month to Texas to visit and try to collect a couple wc tarantulas.One of our fellow members wants me to collect him a few scorps.I know theres plenty in the area Im going to.My question is this:Are scorps communal.Can I bring them back in a containers together or do I need to keep them in seperate containers like a tarantula?Thanks for any advise...Rich:?

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Depends on the species. Centruroides and Vaejovis are far more communal than Paruroctonus, Diplocentrus or anything else you might find in Texas. That being said, I would keep them seperate anyways, since your collection and transport activities will cause them to stress and "not be themselves." Also, since you don't know anything, you will not be doing field ID and you will not be able to determine their communal status anyhow.

If you do want a little bit of help in the field, check out:
http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/states.html
for what species you may find.

Then check out: http://www.ub.ntnu.no/scorpion-files/gallery.php to see pics of the relevent species.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dave,

Do you breed most scorpion species in a similar manner to most T species... with short supervised introductions? Or do you let them cohabitate for short periods of time? Since one of the species I collected in Carlsbad was the Paruroctonus, I'm just curious as to how to go about breeding attempts... or if I should even attempt it.

Botar

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Also, what was the second species we collected down there? Seems it was a Vaejovis, but I can't remember the species.

Botar

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Botar,

With the exception of the more communal genra (Heterometrus, Centruroides), I always try supervised matings at first. If my observations show that there is no real hostility (the old "bugger off" tail flick is acceptable, but any sting attempts are not) then I will often try periods of cohabitation. I have yet to lose a male, but that could very well be just luck.

As for whether you should try to breed Paruroctonus, why not? That being said, I suspect some of those collected are immature. The other species was Vaejovis coahuilae.

Cheers,
Dave

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks Dave. I'll bug you and John for pointers when I'm ready.

Botar

Diao

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Where is this Carlsbad that you collected the scorpions, Botar?

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In Carlsbad, New Mexico. We were there in June for the ATS conference. I'm heading down to NM two more times in the next couple of months. I hope to do some more scorpion/centipede collecting.

Botar

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi all,

Yes, the commonly found scorpions during the ATS '03 conference were V. coahuilae and P. gracilior. Most that I've seen and or collected were juveniles with a few adults. Regarding communal or not in captivity depends on whether you have surplus specimens to provide such a project. I keep all the Vaejovis or Parurcotonus species I've collected over the years in seperate containers. The only species that can be kept communally from Texas are Centruroides vittatus depending if the individuals are gravid or in near hunger. Furthernote, the P. gracilor males will have the pectines extending out from underneath hence greater number per comb compared to females.

The other know Vaejovis species are V. crassimanus. More robust in pedipalp chela compared to V. coahuilae but similar to V. russelli then there we get difficult respectively with characters beside the chela finger length and scalloping with sexes between V.c. and V. r.

Some of you I met and some I didn't during the conference but most know who I am through the scorpionfans at yahoo groups. Be sure to check my site below and view Johns (kugs) scorp photos from the conference in the pic page.

Cheers,
Sinc. Chad
Webpage: Scorpions from the Chihuahuan Desert Region'
http://www.geocities.com/redhourglass/scorpions.html

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chad,

Welcome to the boards. Does this mean the other users here will no longer have to suffer through my haphazzard IDs? :) It was good meeting you, however briefly, at the conference. Hopefuly next year we'll actualy get out hunting together.

Cheers,
Dave

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Speaking of yahoo groups...

What's a good one for scorps? I'm on a few of the T groups, but I wasn't sure which scorp group would be the best to join. Suggestions?

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Scorpion Fans is without a doubt is the best one out there. There are a lot of VERY knowledgable people on there. I rarely ever post, but I am a devout lurker because there is so much to learn.

Cheers,
Dave

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I second Dave's suggestion.

Many of the most knowledgeable people world-wide can be found there on a somewhat regular basis. I to am usually a lurker absorbing as much as I can.

John
];')

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by skinheaddave
Chad,

Welcome to the boards. Does this mean the other users here will no longer have to suffer through my haphazzard IDs? :) It was good meeting you, however briefly, at the conference. Hopefuly next year we'll actualy get out hunting together.

Cheers,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome ! It depends...cause I have had my mind juggled a few times too here and there. Yes, Robert and I would of liked a collecting trip with everyone but we all seemed so scattered about at the conference. Maybe next year!

Sinc. Chad

nocturnalpulsem

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Dave & John,

Thanks a bunch. I'm sure you'll find me harassing someone on there about something ;)

N.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Chad,

Well, would it be half the fun if it were easy? :) BTW, I've ordered a microscope so I may be bugging you for help in tracking down keys in the near future. I've been playing catch-up reading since the ATS conference but despite my concerted effort I have only scratched the surface.

Cheers,
Dave